Raised Garden Planter With Trellis

$50

We’ve been spending more time outside on our patio and I wanted to add more plants and flowers to the area; and also create a little privacy from the road traffic ( full disclosure I live on a pretty quiet road in NH and most of the traffic is people walking their dogs, joggers, and this morning a couple of wild turkeys out for a stroll!) I decided to build a raised garden bed with a trellis as a solution.

Supplies

• (2) 1” x 12” x 6’ boards (raised bed)
  • (3) 1” x 2” x 8’ boards ( trellis supports)
  • (1) 2” x 2” x 8’ board (raised bed corner supports)
  • (1) 2’ x 8’ wood lattice
  • 2” wood screws
  • 1 1/4” wood screws
  • wood stain

MAKE YOUR CUTS

I used a circular saw to make the following cuts:

-Cut the 2“x12”x6’ boards at 48 inches ( the 48” piece for the front of the planter and 24” piece for the sides)

-Cut (4) 12 inch pieces from the 2”x 2”x 8’ boards (corner supports)

-Mark and cut the 1x2x8’ boards at 60 inches (lattice trellis supports)

-Cut the lattice piece in half (48”)

Add Corner Supports

Place one of the 4 ft long boards on a flat surface. Measure and mark the board 1/2 inch from each end. Using 2” wood screws attach the corner supports with a cordless drill. Repeat on the other 4 ft board.

Attach Side Boards

Now stand up the board. Take one of the shorter (2ft) side boards for the planter and attach it to the corner support using 2” screws. Repeat for the other board.

I moved the pieces to the floor and screwed the two unattached corner sections together to finish the box.

Add Lattice Supports

I added 2 of the lattice supports ( the 1x2x60” board) to the back of the planter. I lined them up square to the bottom and side edge and attached them with 2” wood screws.

Attach Lattice

I drilled pilot holes into the lattice because I found that even though I was using wood screws that don’t require pre-drilling the lattice wood is so weak that it split anyway. (Even with drilling pilot holes I had a couple minor splits)

Use 1 1/4 wood screws to attach the lattice to the frame.

Add the final 2x2x60” lattice support board to the back of the planter. I waited until the end to add the final support board because I wanted it to line up perfectly centered with the 2 pieces of lattice. Then screw the lattice to the board.

Finished raised bed

Stain

I did a coat of stain ( Minwax oil-based in ‘Early American’) and let it dry overnight before finishing it off with a coat of a clear protector.

Line

I’m using my planter on a gravel patio so I added landscape fabric to the inside.

Fill & Plant

I used 2 bags of 2.0 cubic ft garden mix to fill the planter and added some vining Mandevilla plants to gets things started. I loved how this project came out so much that I’m going to make another one after I finish writing this! You can find some other gardening tips & ideas here.

To see more: https://www.cottageonbunkerhill.com/welcome-friends/

• Jimi

What dimensions did you trim your lattice to fit. 4' x 60" or 2 sheets of 2' x 60"? Why couldn't you use just the one sheet trimmed to size? Asking for knowledge.

• Meh2

Jennifer, great project & one I’ll definitely build. Question: why buy 2”x 2”x 8’ board (corner supports), when you’re cutting only four 12” pieces = 48”. What am I missing?

• Gabrielle Falk

I was wondering, why didn't you buy lattice already made, with 'dressed' (ie finished-smothed off) sides? Or couldn't you get the size you wanted? Mandevillas are a terrific and hardy vine. I have one in a pot, biggish, and have a Mandevilla in it. For years. The vine has just grown and grown - still contained in the pot, to go over an archway, part of the 'privacy' fence, and over to the carport. It is just beautiful, with pink flowers. And they trim easily. No woody stems, as such.