Sleek Wooden Plant Stand

$5

I finally bought myself a beautiful snake plant and I knew I wanted to make a special stand for it. I searched online for inspiration and ended up combining a few designs that I liked.

Choosing your wood

I started with some scarp wood pieces that I planed and jointed until they were as straight and flat as possible. You could also use 2x3s or something similar.

The Perfect Angle

I took my current pot into consideration as well as a pot I might use in the future and decided on an angle that I thought would look good. You can make your piece as straight or angled as you want depending on your pot and preference.

Testing the Look

Once I got my first pieces cut at an angle I set them up to see if I liked the way they would look. From here you can always adjust a little as necessary. I decided to make my 4 lower legs a little longer than the 4 upper pieces.

Glue

I glued the upper and lower pieces together using wood glue. Since this setup would be difficult to clamp I just rubbed the two pieces together to create some suction and a nice tight joint.

Creating a Flat Surface

Next I set up my table saw to take a small cut off of the inside of each piece. This will give me a nice flat spot and allow me to easily attach my flat center support pieces. I did this with each of my 4 upright pieces once the glue had plenty of time to dry.

Center Pieces

I cut two center pieces with a notch in the middle of each one. When put together they will form a perfect cross.

Center Piece

I glued up the two center pieces and let them dry. This picture shows how they fit together before pushing them all the way in.

Drilling Assembly Holes

Next I marked each piece and drilled a pilot hole where I would be attaching them to my center support piece.

Screwing Together

It was a little difficult to attach everything myself because of the angles so I rigged up a little stand to hold the center support at just the right hight to screw everything together. I also drew a center line on the center support to ensure everything lined up perfectly.

Clamping

I used a clamp to make sure my pieces were completely flush when I glued and screwed them together. (I also sanded all of my pieces smooth with an orbital before this step.)

Finishing Touches

I sanded a couple areas that needed it and then finished the entire piece with a light stain. I also cut some walnut plugs for the pilot holes to give it a nice contrast! If you are painting the piece you can simply fill the holes with putty and sand before you paint. I kind of designed and figured this piece out as I went but now that it's all done I think I'll be making a few more! I definitely want one that is much taller and maybe a mini version as well for a small pot. I hope you like this project as much as I do and thanks for following along! Check out my Instagram for more fun DIYs, furniture, and art!

To see more: //instagram.com/beautymark_furniture

• Leslie

The planter is beautiful but when you attached the cross pieces to the angle of the legs did you have to cut the ends of the cross pieces to fit? Can't tell if you did and the picture looks like it fits perfectly when there should be a gap because of the angle. Also I am thinking instead of using two pieces of wood I have scrap plywood and I would cut out the shapes whole and glue up the pieces to make 2" wide.

• Leslie

Hi Kris, thank you for your answer it helped lol.

• Heather Ruiz

Love this!! The angles make it so pretty. Thanks for sharing.

• Brenda

Good job. So pretty and on trend. You could make and sell.