How to Make an Extended Outdoor Faucet to Your Garden

$200

I have a story to tell you today about how an extended outdoor faucet saved a marriage.

Okay well maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but let’s say that extended outdoor faucet at least prevented a whole lot of arguing this summer.

You see, we live on a half acre in the city, and my garden is placed in the farthest northern corner of the yard. This means a lot of hose pulling to water my precious little starts. And friends, logically to me, it just seems easier to leave the hose across the yard waiting for the next time I water.

My husband thinks differently.

He sees the hose across the yard as an evil plastic tube that the sun uses to burn lines in his yard and kill his precious grass. And I get it, I really do. He loves his grass and I love my garden. Whats a couple to do? Enter in the extended outdoor faucet from our spigot in the backyard. 

When I first talked about somehow adding a water faucet to my garden area Travis was against it. That meant digging a trench through his lawn and possibly messing with his sprinkler system. 

However, once he realized what was going to be his future with the plastic hose across the yard . . . he changed his tune. The trench being dug was but a small hiccup in an otherwise green and happy lawn. 

HOW-TO: EXTENDED OUTDOOR FAUCET 

What you’ll need:

HOW TO 

*These plans will vary for you based on your needs, the distance from your new faucet to the main one, and your house and yard varriations. Please use your discretion when using these plans.

1. Measure where you want your new watersouce to the source you’ll be connecting it from so you know how much pipping you’ll need. Think about how deep you’ll want to trench your line and if you have any obstacles in the way.

*NOTE: This is not a winter proof set up. The line will need to be blown out before frost each year to prevent the pipe from bursting.

2. Trench line using the trench shovel. We trenched eight inches down. Trenching anywhere from 6 to 8 inches will work. The deeper you go the longer you can use it into the fall before having to blow it out. We also used galvanzied piping because it’s more weatherproof.

3. From the watersource at the house, place the Y spliter on the end of the faucet sticking out of the house. On one side of the Y, connect the primary hose you’ll be using around the house. On the other side of the Y connector, that you’ll be extending out to the garden, attatch the Heavy Duty Coiled Spring Kink Protecter Faucet Extension.

4. Now assemble the galvanised pipe you’ll be half buring. Take the 18″ galvanized pipe and at one end attatch the galvanized elbow, making sure to use thread tape at all connections. This helps create a tight seal. Connect the elbow to the Glavanized steel nipple, (side note, how is anything called that? Steel nipple?!?) the connect the coupling. To the couppling attatch the brass male adapter.

5. Once you have this L pipe assembled, go ahead and attach it to the faucet extender.

6. Connect the plastic pipe to the base of the galvanized elbow pipe using a hose clamp. Carefully run the plastic pipe from there out to your new faucet.

PREPARING YOUR NEW EXTENDED FAUCET:

7. This is very similar to how you built the previous connector, except you’re placing a faucet on the end and have to think about how you want to secure the pipe into the ground.

4. We secured the pipe into the ground using a 4×4 post in concrete.

Secure the faucet to the post, let concrete set for a couple days, and you’re ready to go!

All these before and afters make my heart go pitter patter.

Bad before photo I pulled from Instagram because I didn’t get a real photo!

Do you have questions? Something we said doesn’t make sense? Let me know in the comments and we’ll try to correct it!

Eryn | Eryn Whalen Online

• Carrie Riley

What was your rationale for choosing black plastic tubing versus PVC?

• Mary Russell

that line will be there long after pvc .It is made for underground use.

• Ya-Man

Why not use pex? It stands up to freezing!!

• Debbie Ella

We just replaced a Pex supply line to our house. It started leaking at the point of entry, into the basement bedroom. I finally got my Hubby to run a water line (PVC to galvanized) to my garden and LOVE it!

• Stacey

i have same situation but I will not need to bury my hose. I’m going to position it up against a fence that has ivy growing to cover it up . Could you tell me what I would or would not need from your list? I’m having a hard time picturing how to get the hose connected to the spiget you placed near the garden with out the burying aspect😏 Thank you.

• Nancy

Cute dog!

• Kelly

We have the exact same hose argument a couple of times a week. This is genius! I’m doing it this weekend. Thanks!