Other than saving gas by not driving to the store, making hummingbird food at home is a great way to save money and not put another plastic jug into the trash. And you won’t have to be concerned about what exactly is being used to make that store bought hummingbird food red.
For this homemade hummingbird food, here's what you'll need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups water
- pot or kettle
- hummingbird feeder
- mason jar or other container for storing extra
- To begin, decide whether you'll use the microwave, kettle, or stovetop method.
- For microwave, use a glass measuring cup and heat four cups of water for 2-3 minutes in the microwave.
- For the stovetop method, heat 4 cups of water in a small sauce pot until boiling or close to it.
- For the kettle method, fill kettle with water and set to boil.