Asked on Jun 1, 2020

How to repair slate laundry sink

Chas' Crazy CreationsSharonDeb K
+9

• Em

Contact a stone supply store to find best advice.

• Repair how? What exactly needs repairing? Can you please explain in further detail? If we do not know specifically what the issue is, we have a hard time suggesting possible fixes.

• Lynn

The over flow sink has a crack in the slate and leaking water. Another problem is the first sink the drain is slow which is causing the water to go to overflow sink. Looking at the trap not sure if it can be taken off with out breaking it.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

Is the stone cracked? This could help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FctBnRl3DQQ

• Cynthia H

I agree that a DIY approach may not be the best way to go. However, there may be repair kits you can use, depending on what the damage is, the color you need, your budget, and how difficult it will be. I have marble counters, and if they were damaged, I would at least price the cost of a professional before attempting anything. Good luck and stay safe!

• I would definitely reach out to a pro for this. You might find some DIY patches in the mean time but your best bet is a pro to get it done properly.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Lynn,

Maybe use grey Car body repair stuff. Then stain darker. Hope it helps.

• Redcatcec

It would depend on what is broken on the sink, so far not enough info is given to get solid suggestions. Try contacting someone who handles this type of stone for estimates and suggestions.

• Deb K

Hey Lynn, the stone shops have lots of products for repairing and sealing all types of stone, they will be able to guide you to what is the best material to repair your slate sink.

• Sharon

Sounds like you need a two part clear epoxy, and yes check it works with your type of stone. Is it an old soapstone tub? if so find some chips of soapstone to hammer into fine bits and mix with the epoxy for a seamless match..... https://www.ehow.com/how_12212618_refurbish-antique-soapstone-sink.html All the old sinks I've had in childhood homes 70-50 years ago were soapstone, and I've had soapstone counters recovered from old chemistry labs put into our artist studios..... wonderful stuff.