DIY Framed Mirror

$25

Builder grade, boring ole mirrors. We've all seen them. Grab some wood, stain + command strips and you'll have a custom mirror in just a few hours.

Materials Needed + Wood

This is the wood I used. It's from Lowe's and was $4.37, I needed 2.

Step One - Cut Wood

Measure your mirror + cut to length needed.

I sanded the wood down on the edges after it was cut.

Step Two - Stain

Stain used - Jacobean by Minwax. To apply I use a small piece of an old rag. I only stained three sides of the wood thinking you wouldn't be able to see the back side, but duh it's attached to a mirror. To avoid seeing unstained wood, stain all four sides.

Link to stain -

https://www.amazon.com/Minwax-70014444-Finish-Penetrating-Jacobean/dp/B000LNUR68/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=jacobean&qid=1594400140&sr=8-1

Step Three - Seal

This is my go to seal. I did two coats. To apply I use a paint brush.

Link to sealer -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PRNXNY/ref=twister_B07JLY244F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Step Four - Add Command Strips

I used the large velcro-ish Command Strips. Peel the back off, attach them together and stick them on the mirror. You can also use liquid nails if you're wanting it more permanent. I just decided to use command strips so I can remove them if need be.

Step Five - Stick The Wood Up

Step Six - Enjoy!

I love the way this turned out, it makes the bathroom go from complete builder grade to a little more custom.

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/sommer.stains/

• Jeff Soucek

Love your simple update! How did the strips hold up and did you try to match your cabinet color to your mirror trim color?

Thank you

• Karen Gilmore

How is your mirror attached to the wall.? I have those little plastic clips on mine. I’m guessing I would have to route the backs of the strips out. Did you have this on yours?

• Connie Eggen

I had seen an example of this and explained it to my niece. She put a wood frame around her big plain bathroom mirror. It turned out very nice. You did a terrific framing job on your mirror!

• Michael Smith-o'Brien

Looking for an alternative to cement ( large heavy messy bag) when I need a small amt to secure the fence gate frío pin receiver into the ground. Maybe 6 x 6 x 6 inch, or less of permanent material; anything ni able that setts up fast and cures in hours to a day.