Asked on Jun 1, 2020

How to Clean very dirty textured vinyl floor?

DeeCindySharon
+8

How to Clean very dirty textured vinyl floor

• Nan W.

Hi!... the old fashioned way... scrub brush -- on hands and knees! ...not fun, but effective

• You might try some TSP substitute powder mixed in some water with a scrub brush.

• Cynthia H

I'm getting too old to clean on my knees (hard to get back up) so I use Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner. Do small sections at a time, after sweeping and/or vacuuming. Give each section about 10 minutes, while you move on to the next. The dirt lifts right off the floor! If it dries before you get back to a section, spray it again. A mop and bucket of clean water is all you need to clean up the lifted dirt. I have posted a project doing this in the past, if you're interested. Good luck and stay safe!

• Gk

You can use a stiff brush and a bucket of warm soapy Dawn dishwater to begin with. Be sparing with the Dawn or it will get too soapy. I find that getting down on my hands and knees helps me to see the dirt better. Rinse well with clear water and a rag. You may have to repeat until you are satisfied you have your floor as clean as you can get it.

• Mogie

Ammonia and hot water, and a good scrubbing mop that can get down into any crevices. Just make sure you have lots of ventilation while using ammonia.

• Janice

Hi Lynn, measure the diametet of the hole and you'll be able to locate a "round" piece of wood in that size. Install the round using wood glue, add some wood caulk then sand and you'll have the solid door. Another idea is to add a square decorative piece to cover each side of the doors holes (if your door is visible from each side. Another thought is to use some type of metal to cover the holes.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Mop liberally with this solution:

1 cup baking soda

1 cup white cleaning vinegar

1 Tbsp blue Dawn

2 gallons hot water (I boil about 1/3 of mine)

• Deb K

Hello Way2138...., One of the best cleansers for vinyl flooring is apple cider vinegar. The acidity in the vinegar helps remove dirt and grime without leaving a buildup of soap or wax. Simply mix one cup of cider vinegar with a gallon of hot water and use a damp mop to clean, rinsing the mop frequently with hot water. If you have a really stubborn area, use a scrub brush to loosen the dug in dirt. Hope this helps you out! Good luck!

• Sharon

I had an old embossed vinyl floor that someone used the awful Mop and Wax on permanently waxing the dirty water in the embossed parts.... the whole floor was sticky..... uggh if you walked across the floor your feet would stick. The only way to really get wax debri off old vinyl floors is ammonia..... I prefer the lemon ammonia that can be had at the Dollar Tree. I've used this diluted in my carpet cleaner reservoir so I can use its brush to really suck up all the gunk, wax and dirty..... then run over it with clean water..... makes its sparkling clean.

• Cindy

Hi Way. To clean vinyl flooring, mix one cup of vinegar into one gallon of hot water. Mop the floor with this solution. If you want your floor to look shinier, add a few drops of jojoba oil to the solution. For a deep cleaning add a tablespoon of dish soap (blue Dawn will cut thru grime) and use a nylon mop to clean the floor. Good luck Way. Hoping all is well with you.

• Dee

I took out my carpet cleaner because it has brushes. I sprayed the floor with a little simple green, and let the carpet clean scrub the floor. Then used it to pick up the dirty water. Worked like a charm. I did this years ago on vinyl I now do it on tile floor and it even cleans the grout.