Asked on Jun 1, 2020

Get pets not to pee on furniture?

SandraOlivaDeb K
+21

We have wonderful 2 pomeranians dogs, except when we put them out on our porch to do their business, they always want to pee on our beautiful furniture out there. We have pads down, and give them treats for peeing on them, which sometimes works. Im worried about the paint on the furniture. Anyone have any ideas? We have to put them on our porch to do their business due to certain restrictions. Thanks.

• Gk

Can you fence off any area with pet fencing away from the furniture and place the dogs and pads in there for them to do their business? You can purchase what are called "exercise pens" that come in a few different sizes and heights for a reasonable price. I used them in the house for my large dog when he was a puppy and it kept him confined to one area so I didn't always have to watch him. I laid down an entry rug that had a rubber backing, placed the exercise pen on top of the rug and then laid the pee pads on top in case he had an accident in that area. I find that smaller dogs are much harder to potty train than larger dogs. I had a long haired chihuahua that liked to mark a particular coffee table and unless I could take him out on a regular schedule he did it his entire life--15 years. Unfortunately he was taking heart medication that increased his urine output so that didn't help. You should also try and treat the furniture with a enzyme product made for pets that should take out the urine smell that is already present. Hopefully they will then not go back there to pee once the urine smell has been removed. It cannot prevent a dog from peeing in an area where they have never peed but it will take the smell away from a marked area. Nature's Miracle is one brand that you can purchase at Menards, WalMart, Target, etc.

• Cindy

You need to train the dogs!

I love my dog so much but it constantly did the things that irked me most. It would chew on things that it shouldn’t or jump up and down out of the blue. Whenever I put on the leash, it would pull on it. Whenever it was out of the house, it would continue digging on the ground - I wish I could tell what it was looking for down there. All the things it did left me feeling depressed as if I failed it monumentally.

But since I discovered Brain Training for Dogs and applied the system offered, it now behaves the way a beautiful dog I always expect of.

• Once they do their business on something, the scent is always there and they are attracted to repeat. You'll need to clean things well with an enzyme cleaner. You might consider reworking the layout to block them from certain areas.

• Morgan McBride

I would throw out the cushions or they will keep going there. And don't leave the dogs out there any more.

• Sandra

They have not peed on any cushions. And putting them out there hasnit been a choice. We moved into a newhouse and had to wait for grass and that's how it all started. Thanks.

• Redcatcec

How about walking them, just bring along the bag. Great exercise for all involved.

• Sandra

Thats th best idea. Unforunately, my husband and I are kinda disabled and seniors, so it's hard to do that every day. I bought some long leads and I think I'll put them on those if I can figure out how to attached them to the house. One of my dogs fights and refuses to let me put a lease on him. I'm trying ways to get a lease that doesn't go over is head. That's the part that scares him. And to take them out, they gave to have a lease.

Thank you for responding/

• Johnavallance82

Hello Sandra,

Go outside with the dogs to make sure they go where they are supposed too.

Rub noses in mess they make and say NO! Good luck...........

• Mogie

They need to be taken outside on a regular basis. I have a friend who goes outside and pees with their dog. That dog has never had an accident inside the entire time they owned her.

• Sandra

She accidently pees with them???

We try regularity and it does help. We are seniors and disabled, so nothing is easy to get regular. I usually go out with them, and treat them for going on the pads. Sometimes it works and sometimes they have a mind of their own.

T hanks.

• Sharon

Letting dogs pee on pads is just an invitation for them to believe your house is a giant toliet. I trained dogs for over 20 years, we always used the crate system of starting puppies at 12 weeks by putting them in a crate just large enough so if they pee, they get wet..... they won't like that and will then whimper and welp to be let out..... you will need to move the crate to wherever you are in the house and have the leash ready to take them out immediately. Doesn't matter what time of day or night, up you go until they develop bladder control.

I've never had a dog have an accident in the house and never brought a pee pad. But I've had many a nights sleep lost after training a thousand pups. Used to just take me a week to train a pup once they are able to develop bladder control.

• Sharon

Without crate training, they don't develop "bladder control"..... so they can't hold their urine until you return.... providing pads perpetuates the lack of bladder control.

If you're not going to crate them, then I would hang the chairs on the wall until you return or use the room. Get some of those big bike hooks.

• Are they fixed? If they aren't start with that

• Sandra

Yes. they are 9 and 12 and were fixed a long time ago. They still hump each other, but I don't worry about that.

• Allison

I agree with Adrienne, if they are males and hiking their legs on the furniture, get them fixed. If they are over 1 a year or so, it may not change the hiking behavior. Whatever you do, do not rub their noses in their waste. Not only is it disgusting, it does not teach them anything. If you go out on the porch with your dogs to relieve themselves, watch them, closely. If they are about to hike, a sharp no will suffice. Although, if it is hiking behavior, I don't see how a pad can work, they will just lift and hit the wall. Perhaps an extra large, high sided litter pan, with the pad will work.

• Sandra

They were older when fixed. We got them from our daughter a number of years ago. And they do hike. And the one has a long range with he pees. The pads are on a tray but maybe I should try to find something with the high sides. I like that idea, because sometimes they hit the siding of house. I would never rub their nose in it. I use to do that to dogs YEARS ago, but it doesn't work and scrares them. Thanks for you reply

• Ken Erickson

We trained our dog to do his business in the yard.

• Deb K

Hi Sandra, here is a homemade method, hope it helps you out, Essential Oil Spray

Fill a new plastic spray bottle with water.

Add five to six drops of essential oil to the water. Fragrances that work well to repel dogs include citrus, cinnamon, eucalyptus and sour apple. Shake bottle well to distribute the oil evenly.

Find a hidden part of the furniture to test the spray on first, to be sure it will not stain. Spray all over the furniture and reapply as the smell wears off. If the spray does not seem to be working, add more of the essential oil to the mix and try again.

You can also try Sox, it is supposed to remove the enzymes they smell when they mark , I have attached a picture, available at most pet stores

• Oliva

Hi, Sandra,

Note that dogs dislike citrus smells, so try using orange or lemon scents. Otherwise, you can rub the legs of the furniture with Rue leaves ( make sure you're wearing gloves, as some people are sensitive to Rue). Animals give Rue a wide berth.

• Sandra

thanks. is that a polish or insense or what? ive never heard of it. sounds likev a good idea.