Asked on Jun 1, 2020

Fill strawberry planter?

VimarhonorJoJohnavallance82
+7

I have beautiful faux plants to fill in side openings but I don’t want dirt to wash away so how do I keep those plants in place

• J

You could green florist foam. It is easy to cut to fit and then use moss to cover foam.

• Jo

Great Idea

• Kathy Gunter Law

Styrofoam can be "shoved" into the section so it will take all the room up. Use floral foam.

• Deb K

Hi Jo, Why not grab some dried moss as the dollar stores or craft stores, it will look natural but not be as messy as using soil. You could also use foam inside to hold the plants in place, hope this helps you out.

• Redcatcec

All the above are great ideas, another thought is to use pool noodles cut to size, also available at the dollar store.

• Cindy

Hi Jo. You really do not need to use soil at all if you will be using faux flowers. There are 3 steps to follow when making a planter. They're called thrillers, fillers, and spillers. Tall plants are thrillers. They go in the back of a planter. Flowers and greenery are the fillers. They should be put directly in front of the thrillers. Spillers are the ivy and other plants that spill over and they go in front. I hope this helps you. Good luck Jo. Be well.

• Unique Creations By Anita

I had the same issue with this house number. I used a Styrofoam https://uniquecreationsbyanita.com/house-number/

• Johnavallance82

Hello Jo,

Use Florist Dry Foam or Polystyrene and cover it with moss of some sort (Reindeer moss or Spagnhem Moss, and push the plants through into the foam. Have fun!

• Jo

Great idea- thanks

• Vimarhonor

Hello after filling your container you might want to use some aerosol spray insulation, I would suggest using floral pins. Similar or you can make your own floral pins with wire.