Asked on Jun 1, 2020

Wash dirty painted walls?

Deb KBetsyKatie
+9

• I imagine it will depend on what the walls are dirty with. I use TSP substitute powder mixed with water in a spray bottle with a rag.

• Janice

A good cleaner to use on painted walls is TSP (see info below). It's best to work from the bottom of the wall to the top so the liquid doesn't run down and create streaks. Wash and dry the areas as you work and you'll end up with a good surface to prime and paint in the color of your choice. The TSP is especially good for smoke stained walls.

https://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/inftsp.html

• Mogie

Use about 1/2 cup white vinegar to 1 gallon water and a squirt of blue dawn. Use a clean rag I use a bar cloth (terry cloth). I wash from the bottom to top. If you wash from top to bottom be careful of drips runnimg down the wall as it can cause a streak. If your walls are greasy with fingerprints from a mechanics fingerprints then use some diluted Awesome from the dollar store or some 409 if you are using these products you will need to wipe down with clear water and clean rag to give walls a rinse.

• Cindy

Hi Katie. Make a bucket with a gallon of warm water. Mix in approx a quarter to a half cup of white vinegar. Then add a couple good squirts of blue Dawn dish soap. This solution works well on dirty walls and will remove dirt and grime. Good luck Katie. Hoping all is well with you.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Use a microfiber cloth with a mild detergent in warm water. I prefer blue Dawn.

• Sharon

If its regular matt latex paint, I just repaint cause cleaning solutions just remove the paint. If it has a bit of gloss like eggshell, satin or semi-gloss..... I use Dollar Tree Awesome Orange in the half gallon mixing in hot water using a car sponge, and wearing rubber kitchen gloves. Works like a charm especially on my smoker clients.

• A bucket of hot, soapy water and an old rag should do the trick!

• Debi53

Fabuloso is my choice--inexpensive and makes the room smell divine. Buy it at Walmart. You can mix with water and use a large spray bottle and wet cloth, or mix in a bucket.

• Katie

Thanks to all the replies - Great answers and I will be tackling the project soon! Again, thank you so much!

Hi Katie: I always used Spic N Span (follow the directions on mixing) with a sponge and a second pail of warm water to rinse. The important thing is to start washing from the bottom up. If you start at the top, the water that runs down the wall will make clean lines on the dirty walls and you won't be able to wash those lines away. If you start at the bottom, the wall is clean and the dirty water that drips down won't make a difference. After each wash with the Spic N Span, rinse well. Change the rinse water once it starts to get dirty. You can do this :) Good luck

• Deb K

Hi Katie this is an easy on your back way to clean walls and baseboards, hope it helps you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK7fSqQCIW0