Garden Shed Makeover

$300

Our garden shed was in dire need of a makeover. Do you have one that needs a little love too? I can't believe I waited this long to fix it up. The transformation is amazing!

When we first purchased our garden shed twenty years ago, we wanted it to match our home. At that time, our house was a cute yellow ranch with red trim. Truth be told, I've never loved the shed color and have no idea why we felt the need to match the house. File this one under "what were they thinking?"

Before the Garden Shed Makeover

Before the Garden Shed Refresh

For years, we joked that our shed resembled mustard and ketchup. It's not terrible and doesn't look awful, but my eye goes right to it when viewing this corner of the property. Some of the shed's trim was rotting, there was a ton of debris behind it, and quite frankly, it was time to make this corner of the yard look pretty.

My vegetable garden is housed directly in front of the garden shed. (That also needs to be rehabbed, but we'll save that project for another weekend.) I am out here all the time during the growing season and don't love the look anymore, so it was time for an update.

Since I started blogging, I am noticing certain exterior home details that distract from the gardens. The garden shed is one of those details that I avoid photographing because to me, it doesn't look good and clashes with my backyard beds.

Not loving it anymore, I decided to fix it up and paint it. For years, I've wanted to update it but sat on the idea because I didn't know what I wanted to do. Does that happen to you too?

After getting serious about updating it, I researched garden shed images on Pinterest and found some neutral inspo that I loved. So I ran with it and the transformation is incredible!

Step 1: Prepare the Shed for Painting

Fix any spots that are rotting

Supplies Needed to Paint the Garden Shed

• Power Washer and Soap
  • Exterior Primer
  • Paint brushes, roller and rolling pan
  • Exterior paint for shed and trim (I used Benjamin Moore's Aura Exterior line in Matte finish. The shed is painted in Ashley Gray and the trim is painted in Tate Olive)
Powerwash the surface to remove dirt & debris

Step 2: Prime new wood before painting

Prime new wood

How to Paint the Garden Shed

• Power wash the shed and allow to dry for 24 hours before painting
  • If necessary, repair any areas that are rotting.
  • Make sure the temps will not dip below 45 degrees before painting. Check weather to ensure it won't rain for 24 hours after painting so it has time to dry.
  • Apply exterior primer. Instead of priming the entire shed, I spot-primed the areas where we repaired the shed with new wood as well as the metal trim.

Step 3: Paint the Shed

• Paint the shed with main color then allow to dry.
  • Apply a second coat. Allow to dry.
  • Paint the trim (2 coats if needed), then allow to dry.

Step 4: Add Accessories, like a wreath

After Painting the Shed

Isn't the result amazing? Why why why did I wait so long to do this! It looks so much better now. The gray looks like the bark on the trees in the woods behind it and the sage trim blends with the foliage. The shed looks more neutral now and will compliment the gardens as they fill in. You guys...I love it!!!

For more information, please visit stacyling.com

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Stacy Ling

• Carol Goins

Have you also painted the house?

• Joni Sassone

Is the roof brown? That’s the only thing I’m not crazy about. But I do think window boxes would add length to the windows and help the windows not look so high. The window boxes would add some interest and balance the scale.

• Eileen

What paint did you use and what color

• Gabrielle Falk

I think what you have done is just 'MAGIC'. It reminds me of something like a story, that describes a house in the woods. I just love it. It has a beautiful rustic/old fashioned appeal. With the wire, and the pots. Are you growing herbs in the pots? I would probably put a few little fairies in the garden, being a fairy-fan. Fairies are special and bring magic to you. What about getting, if you can, some old wheelbarrows, and put some sort of planting in them, that flow over the edges? Oregano is a very hardy grower, grows rapidly and has the draping effect. I have some growing in very poor soil, (I live in Sydney, Australia with such hot summers/and so dry), but just give a good watering, and chuck some blood and bone (powdered fertilizer) in it, and then just water, because, otherwise the 2 little dogs will be in to it. Or if you can't find an old w/barrow (look for clean-outs by your local council). Or get new ones, and give them a bit of rough and ready treatment. A few dings here and there. Scratching up the paintwork etc.. Well done.

• Bebe

Adorable!