DIY Topiary

$40

If your anything like me you love the look of topiary trees, but not the high price tag they come with. Here is an easy way to make your own DIY topiary tree with just a few supplies. DIY topiaries are the perfect home decor accent for any room in your home. Once you have mastered this DIY, you will want to make more of these beauties for your home. Check out the full blog article with videos here!

Create Your Own Unique Look

Create your own beautiful topiary! I made two different types, and I cannot wait to make more. I am so excited to share with you the process, and what I learned along the way! So let's get started.

Step Gather Your Supplies

Now that you have all of your supplies, let's get this DIY Started. You can make these topiaries any size, depending on where you want to put them.

These foam balls come in white and green, I chose green because I didn't want the foam to show through the greenery. If you only have access to whit you could always hand paint or spray paint it a darker green.

Also when it comes to stems, I recommend using ones that can easily be glued or poked into the foam ball. I learned this the hard way on this step. You have to cover the entire ball so keep that in mind before starting the project. You want to choose very thick greens or ones with a good base to glue to cover the ball. I chose a smaller green and trying to stick every stem into the foam took me forever.

Step Pull off or Separate Your Greens

At this point you want to remove all your stems from your branch. This will prepare you when you get to step !!!!!!! Depending on the type of greenery stems you choose, you can create a variety of different topiaries. I did this the night before the project, so that was helpful when it came to time management.

Step Stain Dowel Rods

Keep in mind you can always use actual branches if you don't want to use a dowel rod. I chose to use these dowel rods from Michaels. I just stained them to make them a little darker with Early American Stain. Let them dry for about an hour then they are ready to use.

Step Add Foam to Vase/Pots

These pots were purchased at Michael’s. I love how they have a vintage grungy look to them. I found these smaller foam rounds and they worked perfectly with these pots. You can always cut down the bottom to make them fit if you need to.

Step Place Dowel Rods

At this point in the DIY you want to push the base of the dowel rod into foam bricks. I put them about 3/4 of the way down. You just want to make sure they are firmly in place.

Step Glue Dowel Rods Down (Optional)

I used a glue gun to add a touch of hot glue around the dowel just to keep it extra sturdy. You don't have to do this, I just figured over time they may shift so just want to add in something to ensure they were secured.

Step Add in Dirt or Moss

My first thought was to use moss to cover the foam rounds, but my store didn't have them in stock. So I went natural and grabbed some soil from the garden. This decision actually worked out great because it gives them a "real plant" look. You can always use green or natural Spanish moss.

Fill all your vases

I made four topiaries so I filled each one covering all of the green foam.

Step Poke Holes

I used a toothpick to make holes in the foam ball. You want to pus the stems into the foam ball, filling all the spaces in with your greens. Start filling the Styrofoam ball with your stems. No glue is necessary, but you can always use if you prefer.

Step Add Hot glue to holes

I chose to add a touch of hot glue in each hole before I added the stems in. Again this is not required, and you can skip this step if you wish. Keep adding stems until the ball is completely covered.

Full Coverage Greenery

This greenery had a circle eon the base so I skipped step #8 and was able to glue the base directly onto the top of the green foam ball. Just really depends on the type of greenery you use. This one was awesome because it truly covered the entire ball easily.

Finished Topiary

This one was so much fun to make and because of the type of base was so easy.

Finished Topiary

This one was one of my favorite I love the different colors of greenery.

Style Your Topiary

Just a perfect little pop of greenery to any space in your home. Please check out our full DIY with video on the blog.

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Wendy Zock The Curated Farmhouse

• Laurie Powell

How tall are these when finished?

What size foam balls and planters did you use? I realize that any size can be purchased. How much did it cost to make all of them?

• Dar

LOVE theses! I'll be on it!! Thanks much for sharing!