Paper Chair? Easy Upcycled Furniture Fix

$15

Our dogs are at it again and their latest victims are our living room chairs. So I decided to experiment and see if I could fix them and if you know me you know it can get a little crazy.

I had repaired theses chairs once before after the cats clawed through the original vinyl finish. My first fix lasted about 4 years but now it is time for a new idea.

It is a very simple process and only takes a few supplies.

Step 1 - Strip off old finish and clean up excess dust and glue. This step got me back to the original beat up vinyl finish.

Step 2 - Tear brown packing paper into small pieces and use Mod Podge to attach the paper to the chair.

Step 3 - Once Mod Podge is dry use a brown gel pen or permanent marker to re-draw the stitch lines.

Step 4 - This is where the magic happens well at least in my opinion. I used my fingers to apply a layer of shoe polish to the paper giving it a faux leather look.

Step 5 - Once the shoe polish has set for a bit, the last step is to seal it with another thin coat of mod podge. I let mine sit overnight.

You might be thinking. "What a stupid and non-durable way to refinish your chairs." You may be right, but as I said, I like to experiment, and I can only report that the finish didn't tear the first time the puppies jumped on it. And I am not worried because I have more packing paper anyway. :-)

You can find more details for this project in the attached video.

I also did a similar technique to cover up some ugly ceiling tiles if you would like more details on this project you can check them out here.

Thanks for taking a look at my project. If you would like more upcycling project DIY's or Green Product Reviews please visit Upcycle Design Lab or Youtube channel to subscribe.

Happy Upcycling,

Cindy

Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

• Sandra Semkiw

How does the Mod Podge react to humidity? Does it get sticky?

Great video.Thanks

Sandra

• Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

Hi Sandra,

It's not very humid in Colorado where I live so I haven't had a problem with that. It does stick to bare skin similar to vinyl or leather though. Thanks for your question.

• Gail

looks like they are going to still be the dog chairs.

• Charise.

That's a crazy idea! It looks cool, though. …definitely considering this for a crappy bonded leather recliner. Thanks!