Create Your Own Farmhouse Pendant Light From a Simple Basket

$10

Looking for a quick and easy way to add some farmhouse appeal to your home? This DIY farmhouse basket light might be just what you’ve been looking for! This project is super simple, and will only take a few minutes out of your day to throw together. This farmhouse basket light would be the perfect addition to your clean and simple guest room, or use a bigger basket for a statement pendant light in your living room, it’s entirely up to you. Follow my step-by-step guide below to make your own now!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Basket (any size will work for this project)
  • Utility knife
  • Dremel
  • Sandpaper
  • Ruler
  • Pencil
  • Pendant light
  • Duct tape
  • Paper towel

Remove the Handles

Remove the Handles

If you have handles on the basket you’ve chosen you’ll need to remove them. This can be done easily with a utility knife or with a Dremel. I’ve chosen to use a Dremel for this project. If you’re using a Dremel, make sure to raise the setting to between 15 and 20 and use a multi-purpose bit on the end. I cut the handle right along the rim of the basket. Simple!

Sand

Then I sanded the rough edges left from where the handles were. I used a 150 grit sandpaper for this part. Check with your finger to make sure it’s completely smooth.

Wipe Clean

Using a wet paper towel, I wiped along the areas that I had cut the bamboo to get rid of the dust. This also helps the natural color come back.

Mark the Center

Mark the Center

Next I flipped my basket over and marked the center. I measured crosswise twice with a ruler and marked the center with a pencil.

Remove the Cap

Then I removed the cap from the pendant light. You’ll need this afterwards so don’t lose it!

Trace the Light

Then I placed the pendant light directly over the center point that I had marked. 

DIY Basket Pendant Light

I traced along the outside edge of the pendant light.  

Reinforce (If Needed)

Reinforce

If the bottom of your basket seems flimsy, you can reinforce it using some duct tape. My basket had a relatively open weave so I decided to add some reinforcement. I cut some small pieces of duct tape and stuck them along the edges of the circle I had traced. This will make sure that the base of the basket doesn’t come apart when you cut out the hole for the pendant light.

Cut out the Hole

Cut out the Hole

This part can be done with a utility knife or a Dremel. If you’re using a utility knife make sure to use a new, clean knife.

DIY Farmhouse Basket Pendant Light

In order to get a good clean cut along the circle I picked up each piece of bamboo as I went and cut it individually.

Clean

Once I had completely cut out the circle I went back with a damp paper towel and wiped up any bamboo dust. 

Assemble the Lamp

Assemble the Lamp

Take the pendant light and push it through the hole we just created.

Screw Together

Then turn the basket over and screw the cap back on, making sure that the bigger side is the side you’re screwing in. Ensure that it is snug.

Remove the Tape

If you want, you can remove the duct tape now. Be careful as you do this as you don’t want to accidentally pull the basket apart. If the light is going to be in a location where the top can’t be seen then you don’t need to do this.

DIY Farmhouse Pendant Light

Easy Farmhouse Pendant Light

That’s all there is to it! You can use this as a porchlight, a bedside lamp, or really anywhere that you would put a pendant light. Where would you hang yours? Let me know in the comments below!

Linda

• Dahliaqueen

Guess you would have to be careful and use a low wattage bulb? Close to basket might get too hot

• Bonny Patterson

Love this lamp AND the room. Can you tell me where you got your bed frame. Thank you - Bonny from Ottawa Canada

• Meg

Do you have any alternate instructions for a lamp shade for floor lamp?

• Lac30984362

Love this idea! Great Instructions.

• Bonita

Very cute! I think glue gun would work in place of duct tape as long as use LED light.