DIY (Cheap!) Wall Art From Pallets & Designer Wallpaper

$35
1 Day

This tutorial is all about how to make some fun and cheap DIY Wall Art using offcuts of old pallets & wallpaper - designer wallpaper to be exact, but because you are only using a small amount of it, it doesn't break the bank.

This is one of my finished upcycled wall art pieces using pallet boards.

It uses a wallpaper called 'Land of Coco' on off cuts of pallet boards.

The steps for how to do it are below.

I was lucky enough to be gifted this wallpaper by Photo Wall and they also gave me some larger pieces that I turned into huge (and cheap) wall art. You can see those extra large pieces on my blog here.

Cut your pallet wood to size

I cut off 40cm lengths (roughly) of pallet board using my jigsaw.

I cut more than I needed as you can see but I figured I might as well cut down the whole pallet so it was ready for another project!

I used four of these pieces for my pallet board art installation.

Sand

Using my mouse sander I sanded these all down to a smooth finish.

Plan your design

I started off thinking I would just wallpaper a section of the Land of Coco Wallpaper to all the pallet pieces and arrange it in a fun way on the wall.

I started with one piece like that and then it suddenly struck me that I would prefer to see some of the pallet wood as well.

So I cut around the edges of the top of the wallpaper panel – essentially removing the white space at the top (see photos above).

I then pasted my wallpaper on 3/4 of the way down the pallet wood.

Obviously I've used a very specific wallpaper for this but you could easily find an alternative that has some white space or a clear outline to a pattern (maybe something geometric?) that you could trim down to expose the wood.

Add hanging

I used these sawtooth picture hanging hooks on the back of each pallet and they worked great for hanging them flush against the wall with no gaps.

I hung these halfway down my stairs so you see them on your way downstairs.

It’s the angle of my camera on the stairs that is making this photo look a bit wonky – hopefully you still get the general idea!

I'm really happy with how these turned out but if I did it again I would have done the cut outs on the bottom piece as well. Unfortunately I had already cut off the top and filled the whole piece with the paper before I thought of the idea!

You can see the side of the pallets on the stairs in the photo above as well as one of the other oversized pieces I made at the same time.

Again I used gifted designer wallpaper, but for this piece and another one that you can see on my blog I made a backing frame from other types of wood off cuts.

Kristen Hubert