Asked on Jun 3, 2020

How to put shelves in a outdoor vinyl storage unit thank You?

Kathy Gunter LawFlipturnGk
+6

I would like to put shelves in my storage unit but was thinking not a good idea to put holes in the vinyl walls. Thank You.

• Flipturn

There are countless styles of outdoor vinyl storage units. Please post a picture of yours showing the inside walls and the underside of the roof, so that we can see exactly what you have to work with.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

What about a simple freestanding shelf unit? You can get simple pine ones for pretty cheaply.

• Gk

Freestanding shelve units! I prefer the metal ones that have shelves that slide down over the corner posts. I find that they are much more sturdy than the vinyl shelving units. The shelves will hold more weight. You can also configure the shelves to your needs. Menards, Home Depot and Target sell them. They come in black or silver. They go on sale a lot and are fairly inexpensive but they last forever.

• Flipturn

Besides the walls, another important consideration in planning storage shelves in a shed, is the shed flooring.

What sort of supports does the shed sit on? Is it solid under the complete floor, or is it partly hollow? How thick is the shed floor?

If the combined weight of the shelving and the items stored on it exceed the maximum recommendations of the shed, the shed structure will begin to crack, heave, and fall apart.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You can do free standing and anchor them into the floor.