Asked on Jun 3, 2020

A citronella candle melts on the cement. How can I remove it ?

Carrie @ Curly Crafty MomChloe CrabtreeBetsy
+8

I have a big spot of melted sperm and I do not know how to remove it. I tried with gasoline, pressure cleaned, nothing works. please help

• Flipturn

Hi Christina,

You have a big spot of melted what?

You might want to go back and correct the spelling........

• Ken Erickson

Wax can often be removed by covering with ice.

• Em

perhaps you may want to look up the definition of sperm in the dictionary. I don't think it comes from candles.

• Redcatcec

It is amazing what they put in candles these days.

Ice will freeze the wax, then just scrape it off with a putty knife or what ever tool will best take care of the size of the spill.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You could put down cat litter to absorb what has seeped in. That might possible remove the chemicals from the concrete.

Hi Cristina: I spilled about 2 oz of candle wax on a marble surface and after it solidified I removed a good portion by scraping with a plastic spoon. This was followed by adding about a tablespoon of vegetable oil and mixing with the spoon. The wax dissolved in the oil with no problem and could be mopped up with a paper towel. Treatment of the oily residue with sink soap removed what was left. Now it doesn’t dissolve readily and requires some elbow grease but a healthy dose of canola oil, a cloth and some rubbing with a brush and it came off in a few minutes. Or, you could try gasoline if push comes to shove:) Good luck

• Chloe Crabtree

Layer several pieces of kitchen paper towel or brown paper, or a terry towel rag over the wax stain. Prepare a bottle of mineral spirits and a bucket of dish detergent and warm water, at the ready. The towel rag will absorb more wax than the paper, but use what you have available. Heat an iron on a hot setting. Iron over the paper. The wax will melt underneath. Remove the heat and the paper layers. Quickly mop up the melted wax using paper towel or rags and the mineral spirits.

Remove the mineral spirits with the detergent and warm water. Mop it all up and allow to dry. Repeat if needed.