That Perfect Pantry Door

$85

When remodeling a kitchen everyone always looks for that perfect pantry door. Either old weathered and reused or that functional door that doubles as decor. Either way the pantry door seems to always stand out and what better way to get this effect than to build your own.

Step 1 Sizing and material

As any project start it’s always good to determine what material will be used and what measurements are needed. I chose to use birch wood as that is the same material I had built the cabinets with. Starting with a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 birch I cut a piece out to match my door opening in my case this was 24x80.

Step 2 Outer frame

Using additional section of plywood I then ripped down a few 4 inch strips and 6 inch strips. These would be used to make up my out frame. Typical door thickness is 1.5 inch. By combining the first 3/4 panel with the out frame at 3/4 this gave me the 1.5 thickness needed.

Step 3 Assemble outer frame

Using a kreg jig I drilled pocket holes to assemble the outer frame. 6 inch section was used at the bottom as you typical kick plate.

Step 4 Test fit

Test fit both panels together make sure all four sides align properly. Will use the loctite to glue both pieces.

Step 5 Combine sections

Using caulk gun apply adhesive to outer frame. Apply enough to hold but you don’t need to over due it.

Step 6 Assemble

Turn outer panel over match all 4 sides again and squeeze together using clamps at all four corners. And allow some dry time.

Step 7 Adding dimension

With the walls being shiplap I wanted to incorporate that same look into the door. Using 1x2 pine board I made a frame and attached it to the door.

Step 8 Add shiplap

Shiplap was cut down to 6 inch pieces and secured inside frame using a finish stapler.

Step 9 Add hardware

I then determined location for hardware and drilled out for the door handle and mounted the hinges.

Step 10 Details

To continue the detail I used some left over corrugated metal and added to the door. With this being the last piece I used the orbital sander to sand everything down all edges and framing was sanded using 80-180-220 to prep for staining.

Step 11 Mount door

After staining and adding a top coat I installed door in its final space.

15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen