Asked on Jun 4, 2020

How to take care of succulents?

LillyroseChas' Crazy CreationsJohnavallance82
+5

I this week purchased a case with 8 succulents. The store did not have the soil that I needed so I had to order it. It will be several days before it is delivered. What do I do to keep the succulents alive until I can re-pot them with the proper soil.

• What zone are you in? As long as it doesn't freeze at night, place them a protected area until the soil arrives. They are very hardy, biggest mistake is by overwatering them.

• Cindy

Hi Lillyrose. Succulents love a warm and dry environment. Keep them in a warm spot until you receive the soil. I'm sure they will be fine. It's best for them that you transplant them only once. Good luck Lillyrose. Hoping all is well with you.

Hi Lillyrose: Succulents are so nice. You should be able to keep them in the pots they came in until the soil arrives. And, only water when the soil is dry and then only until the water runs out of the drainage hole. Try not to wet the leaves. When planted outdoors in pots, succulents can be soaked by heavy rains. It's important to use pots with drainage holes. Terra cotta pots are ideal, as they naturally wick away moisture from the soil. Succulents should be potted in a lightweight succulent soil mix that allows for ideal drainage. Also, don't plant in direct sun. One thing I do, when I use pots with drainage holes, is to put a coffee filter inside before adding the soil. It lets the water drain but not the soil :) Of course, if you are growing cold hardy succulents, they can stay outside all winter. It's important to know what growing zone you live in. At the least you should know the average low temperature for your area. ... All succulents rated higher than Zone 5 can't survive the cold, and need to be indoors for the winter. Hope this helps. Good luck

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Lillyrose, succulents are not fussy at all. As long as they get enough sun and not too much water, they will be fine. We have a huge collection of succulents and they are so rewarding. If you need more tips on growing, propagating or identifying them you may find this article informative - https://acraftymix.com/blog/tips-identifying-growing-succulents/

• They need good drainage, like light and need to be rotated frequently. Here's a link with more information:

https://www.succulentsandsunshine.com/guide-growing-succulents-indoor-house-plants/

• Johnavallance82

Hello Lillyrose,

The Succulents will be fine left alone as they require very little water to keep them alive. Best wishes

• Lillyrose

Thanks for all the info. I live in zone 6 so I plan to keep them inside, as I am unable to go into the yard to take care of them. Going to the doc today so will read all your good web sites when I return. Thanks for all of you being so nice and answering my question regarding succulents. I have wanted to have some of these for so long so am expanding my inside 'garden' I just hope I am successful.