Modern DIY Planter Boxes

$15
1 Day

CREATE THESE BEAUTIFUL PLANTER BOXES FOR LESS THAN $15 A PIECE! THEIR SLEEK MODERN DESIGN WILL BE THE PERFECT ADDITION TO YOUR OUTDOOR DECOR

Supplies

(This list is for 1 planter box)

Planning Height & Width of Planters

First, you need to figure out what size you want your planter boxes to be. I went with 17″ wide on top sloping down to 13″ on bottom & an overall height of 24″. This process is completely customizable so use whatever size works for your space

After you make your dimension decisions cut the 1X2 board for your legs. I cut mine down to (4) 24″ pieces.

Make Your Cuts

Next, I cut down my slats using the 1X4s. You will have (5) slats per side, 20 total per planter. So I cut: (4) @15″ (4) @14″ (4) @13″ (4) @12″ (4) @11″. 

Heres a little tip: Label each piece of wood so you know its length & can organize your pieces easily

Cut The Angle

Now that all your slats are cut its time to cut each side by 5 degrees. A miter saw is a necessity for this project unless you really want a workout with a hand saw! 5 degrees is not a huge angle so its kinda hard to tell from this photo but you will see it better in the next one I promise!

Dry Fit Pieces

I always do a dry run & piece my wood together to make sure my angles are lining up right with the legs. Now is the time to make any adjustment cuts if need be.

Drill Pocket Holes

After my slats were cut its time to drill my pocket holes using my Kreg Jig! This tool makes drilling pocket holes a piece of cake. Each slat got 4 pocket holes.

Clamp Slats Onto Legs

Once your pocket holes are all drilled its time to attach the slats to the legs. Clamp your legs tight onto the slats to make sure they join as flat as possible.

Build Second Side Wall

Follow the same steps & attach your other side wall.

Attach Side Planks

Now that the two sides are built, its time to attach the rest of the planks. I found the best way to do this was to lay one side down on the table & attach the slats while holding it flush with the edge of the leg.

Slats Attached

This is how one of your side pieces should look once you have the rest of the slats attached

Attaching Last Side

I just laid my other side on top of the other & attached it using the drill & also a screwdriver for the pocket holes that were in the middle, because my drill was to big to fit into the narrower opening.

Painting or Staining

Once I had both my planter boxes built it was time to paint! I used Rust-Oleum flat black spray paint but you could stain or choose any color you want.

After 1st Coat

This is after the first coat was on. If you prime the boxes before painting you would probably not have to do as many coats, but I couldn’t wait to paint & ended up having to do two coats.

Sealing The Planters

These planters will be exposed to all the outside elements so it’s super important to seal them! I used Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane in satin because I wanted a little shine

Attaching Base For Plants

Finally, it was time to add a base for the plants to sit on. There are many ways you could do this but I went for super simple. I just attached scrap 1×3 pieces to the inside of the box & added in two more scrap pieces for my plant to sit on. The two pieces are movable but you could definitely nail them down if you prefer!

Ta-Da

Finished Planter Boxes

Finished Planter

Y’all I am so happy with how these planters turned out! They look super expensive & swanky but only cost me $15 apiece to make! These planters fit in so well with my modern/craftsman/farmhouse vibe (yes that’s a real thing  ). If you want to see the making of these planters in action head on over to our Instagram & check out the build in our story highlights. Now all that’s left is to keep these ferns alive, wish me luck!

25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Lia with Southern Yankee DIY

• Martha

Wonderful project. Is it possible to print off???

• Hi Martha, you can head on over to the blog southern yankee diy & right click on the page & select print, but I don't have a pdf created yet!

• San87tx

Looks good! Could you do a project for a plant stand for a alevara plant