How To Edge In Landscape The Lazy Girl Way

$100
1 Day

This post is part of a paid partnership with Worx, but as always these thoughts & opinions are my own. I only share brands I really love with yall & this is no exception. Take a peek at our privacy & disclosure privacy

Does your home have great curb appeal or is it looking kinda meh? Follow along as we transform our front yard by adding stone pavers to edge in our landscape the lazy girl way.

Am I the only one who has been speedily pulling into the driveway & avoiding eye contact with the front yard? It was a mess yall & I could not put it off any longer. I decided to get a game plan together of what needed to be done & tackle the biggest eyesore first, the mess of landscape. If you have been following along with us for any time at all you know I love to do things the lazy girl way & this project is no exception. Here’s how we did it:

Supplies

• - Stone Pavers
  • -Twine or Line
  • - Stakes
  • - Shovel
  • - T Square 
  • -Spray Paint
  • -Mulch

1. Make A Plan

The first part of the plan is to decide where you want stones or pavers. We chose to add them to the edge of all of the front yard's landscape. Edging stones really help to make everything look cleaner & not so overrun. As you can see I attempted this project last year with that tree & ended up with a wonky circle & not much else, but in my defense, I was 38 ½ weeks pregnant. Don't worry though, it will get a makeover too!

2. Measure Amount Of Material Needed

To figure out how many stones you will need to measure the length of the area you want to be edged. Next, pick your stone & divide its length by your total area length. That will give you a rough estimate of many stones you will need to cover your area. Don't forget to double the stone amount if you plan on doing two layers as we did. 

3. Stake-Out The Border

There are multiple tools to use to accomplish this but I used stakes from Eli’s bounce house & twine, this is the lazy girl way after all. Mark along the edge of where you want your paver fronts to be. This is a great way to visualize your plan & make sure you are happy with how it will look.

4. Weeding

It's definitely easier to weed out your landscape bed before you lay down the stones, so now is the perfect time to get that done. Kinda cool that I am mowing the lawn & weeding at the same time right? Well technically our Worx LandRoid is mowing but still, 😉 My favorite thing about the LandRoid is that I can be doing other projects while also getting the lawn cut at the same time!

5. Dig Your Border

You want the pavers to be inset into the ground about 1 ½” to 2”. The best way to do this is with a square shovel. Dig straight down into the back of the paver line first then move to the front of the line, dig in & lift up. This will help the cut out portion come up in pieces instead of a big mess of dirt.

6. Placing The Edging Stones

After you remove the patch of grass, keep all the loose dirt, you will use it as fill dirt for placing the stones. Pat down the dirt so it is compact & even, then start placing the stones along the border. 

7. Level The Stones

This part is super important, you want to make sure when you are installing the stones that they are all level. A large bubble level will make this easier, just add or take away fill dirt under each stone as needed. Do you see my two other workers back there? Yepp one is actually working (Worx Landroid) & the other (my husband) is watching it mow the lawn, it's hard to find good help these days 😉 Justin is actually teaching the LandRoid zones of the yard so that we can easily set how much time we want it to spend cutting each zone. This is an amazing feature that allows us to keep our front & back yard in tip-top shape.

8. Keeping The Lines Straight

The easiest way to ensure all your stones are in a straight line is to use a T square. You can spray paint along that line or just keep it in place as you add the stones.

9. Adding The Second Layer

After the first layer is laid down it's time to start the second layer. This layer will go much quicker, I like the offset look of the stones but it's completely up to you.

10. Add Mulch

Use mulch or stone to fill the newly edged landscape area. The easiest way to do this is to dump bags into multiple piles all around the area. Then, use a rake to distribute the mulch piles evenly. 

11. Edge Along The Pavers

Finally, it’s time to cut the grass around the outside edge of the pavers.

Be Careful Not To Move Pavers While Edging

The Worx Landroid makes this part super simple because it does all the edging for us. It is even equipped with sensors that let it know where the pavers are so it doesn't run into them!

Ta Da

After

So much better right?! It feels so good to have this project behind me & now I don't have to rush inside in shame of my front yard. This project was definitely done the lazy girl way & there are probably more technical ways to complete it but I am super happy with how it turned out! The best part is thanks to our Worx Landroid I can go inside & relax with a bubble bath while it finishes up the lawn!

Lia with Southern Yankee DIY

• Sherry

You said, “The lazy girl way,”?!

• Melody Thompson

Sherry seems to express that it doesn't seem "lazy way" to her ( forgive me Sherry if I am wrong). It doesn't seem to be easy or lazy. Sorry that's only my opinion.

• It looks beautiful. I'm just curious why you didn't add mortar to secure the second tier? It would keep it secure and beautiful for years to come.

• Melody Thompson

Can you spread mulch and then plant flowers in the mulch? I am in a wheelchair that can also be a walker so I would have to have the easiest and cheapest way to do flowers. Thank you for any ideas. Your project looks like a professional landscaper did it. Beautiful