Repairing and Planting Window Boxes After Squirrel Damage

$80
1 Day

Make an easy repair to a window box from squirrel damage and plant window boxes for summer.

We have more squirrels than the law should allow in our yard with all our trees. It seems the squirrels are always digging up or chewing something. I discovered at the end of the season last year that in addition to digging up the flowers in my window box, a squirrel ate through the polyethylene material into the irrigation wall of one of the boxes.

The window box wall is hollow so I was afraid any water from rain or watering after planting the box would make it too heavy for the brackets, so I needed to repair it.

Flex Tape to the rescue for an easy repair! Flex tape is a strong rubberized waterproof tape that we discovered a couple of years ago to repair our roof after some storm damage. It provided a quick fix and water tight seal from the snow and rain while we waited the 6 weeks it took to schedule a roofer to replace the section of roof that was damaged. 

I found our 4 inches wide by 5 foot rolls of Flex Tape for $12.99 in the paint department at Lowe’s. It’s also available in 8 inch and 12 inch widths and is available in white or black online. The tape comes with a backing that you peel away before applying. Once you peel the backing off, press the tape firmly to remove any air pockets or bubbles. Once bonded, it can’t be re-positioned and adhesion will strengthen over time. I waited a day after taping before planting my window box to make sure it was bonded.

After adding fresh potting mix to the window boxes, I filled the boxes with mixture of sun loving annuals as my window boxes have a southern exposure.

I always arrange the plants first before taking them out of the pots and planting them. I used a combination of petunias, sweet potato vine, verbena and lobeila.

I read that Blood Meal can work as a scent-based repellent for squirrels, so I sprinkled some on the top of soil of the window boxes among the flowers as a deterrent in hopes that it will keep the squirrels out. Note: Blood Meal is a fertilizer, so you have to apply with care and follow the package guidelines. Too much nitrogen in the soil can keep the plants from flowering or burn your plants.

Here's how the window boxes looked after I planted them in around the third week of April.

Here's a breakdown of costs for planting (2) 36" window boxes which you can do more economically if needed:

New potting mix for (2) 36 inch window boxes: $10

Assorted annuals: $48

Flex Tape for repair: $13, 4 feet left for future repair

Blood Meal: $8 for 3 lb bag, plenty left for other containers and to fertilize other garden shrubs and plants

And this is how the window boxes looked 6 weeks later.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the squirrels stay away from my window boxes this year! Momma Squirrel built a nest in my watering can by the Potting Shed last spring. Click over for some cute baby squirrel photos and what to do if you find abandoned or orphaned baby squirrels in your yard.

Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Carole White

Beautiful, thanks for the tip RE the tape! Adorable baby squirrel pics and yes, i agree on the cuteness level, but so destructive!!! They actually dug a sizable hole right thru the shingles of my roof!

• Sunil Nand

Very very good job mate , keep it up.