Brick Sidewalk & Flowerbed

$0

There were no established flowerbeds or walkways in the front of my house. There was however a buried brick sidewalk in the back yard that was no longer needed. I decided to repurpose those rather than buy edging or have concrete poured.

Add sand and level area

You will need to have a level sandy area to lay the brick. Spread the dirt, and use a rake to level.

Gather brick

Gather brick and unload them near worksite.

Lay bricks

Begin laying bricks. Tap them from each side as you go to ensure a tight fit.

Add rows

Continue adding rows and making sure it’s tight as you go. I used a board and sledge hammer every few rows to help tighten. You may have to play around with the placement of the brick. I changed it up a bit after seeing the first few rows laid.

Border

I decided to make a border on each side by turning the bricks.

Finish and install bed

I curved the walkway to meet up with driveway. Then I installed a border around the flower beds. I added mulch to help prevent weeds.

Finish

Add bricks till complete. I watered down with a hose and avoided walking on it for several hours.

• Veronica Ronnie Taylor

What is holding the bricks in?

• Anna Ibarra

I made an patio island in my back yard with bricks as these. My island was set in as I had a pull out a few stumps & huge sago plant. I did lay ground material, sand to level then bricks then leveling sand and spread thru cracks. I didn’t do a border, I posted it on HT also, so my lines are cracked, oh well, still usable and it’s been several years. My friend didn’t use leveling sand and her pavers rock.

• Amy Jo Olson

Beautiful!

• Bluzlovr

I'm embarrassed to ask the question because I should know the answer. How do you put down the weed barrier and mulch and then plant flowers or shrubs that spread over time?? For example hostas, irises, peonies, hydrangeas?? Do you just cut a large circle where you plan to put the flowers/shrubs? But then it seems you leave a place for weeds to grow. Thanks for any help you can provide!!!! I'm stumped!!!

• Andrea Philipson

Yes, you have the right idea about making a hole in the fabric to accommodate the current size of the plant you're interning, as well as making said hole large enough to allow for the plant to spread as it grows.... If you prefer to define the area you will ultimately allow the plant to inhabit, I'd agree with Linda that when using a fabric weed barrier, gravel is the way to go!

However, if you want to allow the plants to spread undefined, I'd recommend using newspapers for a weed barrier and topping it with a good quality mulch. (Tip: Wet it down as you spread layers of newspaper, so it won't blow away while you're working.)

For the first season, sprinkle some Preen in the mulch to prevent weeds from growing... to continue to prevent weeds and extend the life of the mulch, repeat the Preen use in each following season, after new plant growth has established itself. Over the years, your newspaper will decompose and become a sort of mulch itself, and eventually you'll need to add new bark mulch for esthetics.

This method provided me with a very low-maintenance (read: minimal need to pull weeds) flower garden... the flowers proliferated and I did not need to add any new bark mulch for 5 whole years!!! (The attached picture is the flower garden.)

• Jeanne

I agree with so many other here who said that this is a lot of work! I've also been working with brick in my yard for landscaping projects. This is year 3. I love the pattern you used and how this walkway came out! The use of the brick around the bark beds helps tie it all together. Great job!

• Rosemary Oehmler

This is true. I had this done in my small triangular front yard. Best decision I ever made. So much easier to take care of.

Definitely place rocks directly over barrier.

Weeds are sneeky little monstes and will find a way out. You will still get a few little weeds because of grass clippings, leaves, etc., but the are easily removed.

• C.B.

Wisdom is sometimes 20/20...laying down weed barrier AFTER leveling the soil; then putting down the sand, then the brick...then "top the brick" with sand to fill in the crevises between them & help stabilize them. Then brush the excess sand off the brick...although "lightly spraying" the sand with water will help "settle" the sand between the bricks.( Fill in more sand as needed). This way the only weeds that grow between the bricks is the result of "dropped or scattered seed."