Asked on Jun 5, 2020

How can we get rid of these ugly cealings?

Jessica GreenJaniceDee
+11

We were thinking of buying this house but hesitant because of the cealings. Can this be repaired at a reasonable costs? If so how. Thanks

• They look like textured ceilings with a glossy paint. Repainting them with flat paint would 'tone them down'. Otherwise, you would have to scrape off the texture or re-sheetrock them.

• Gk

If these ceilings are textured, the texture can be scrapped off, any repairs made from scrapping, and repainted. You can do it yourself or you can hire someone to do it. I would check in your area for prices for the best estimate at what it would cost.

• Redcatcec

I agree with Ann about repainting with a flat paint, that would be the most economical way and the least labor intensive.

The walls are painted in a more subdued finish, yet the ceilings are glossy, maybe the reason was to reflect more light. It almost gives a science fiction effect to the rooms. It is a beautiful house.

I would also change out the ceiling light in the master bedroom.

Have you considered using the ceilings as a bargaining point on the price of the house? It might work. Best to you.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You can scrape. I would recommend using the Homax 6100 Ceiling Texture Scraper,Black,12-Inch

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

What about covering them with one of these DIY ceiling ideas? https://www.frugalfamilytimes.com/search/label/Ceiling?max-results=9&m=1

• Robyn Garner

As the texture has been painted over, basic scraping won't work. You need to spray the plaster w/ water, let it soften and scrape off. The paint sealed the plaster so this won't work. Your only choice is to live with them or redrywall them. I would use the ceilings to lower the purchase price - the house looks great and I would not pass it by just due to the ceilings. Yes, flat paint will help.

• Kelli L. Milligan

The only thing to do is cover then with drywall or some sort of wood. I'd get an estimate to use as a bargaining tool for selling price. Just realize the owners maybe very proud of it since it was an expensive treatment in its day. I agree they are awful. I didn't like it when it was the rage

• Deb K

Hi Ann, it is all textures on the ceilings, you can reduce the look of the texturing by using a super flat ceiling paint, it will be way less noticeable. That would be the cheapest route to go with, here is another idea to try, hope it helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_adiqNqjSk

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

Is there any texture? If so, maybe you could have a contractor come out and see what he could do to remove the texture? If the pattern is flat, I would cover it with a flat paint.

Hi Anne: Here's a site that shows how to cover them. Loads of work, but if you really like the house, maybe you can get the price lowered because of the ceilings. Personally, I think they are cool :) But, then again, I won't be living with them:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_adiqNqjSk Good luck

• Dee

Those are custom coated texture ceilings. I would prime them and paint with ceiling or flat paint. That will tone them down considerable. Try it on at least one room to see if you like it. You could take the texture off, but that is labor intensive. Or you could plank them but that is not only labor intensive it is expensive. I actually like them but they are shiny, tone them down and see if you can live with them. I wouldn't not buy the house because of ceilings, but I would try to negotiate the price.

• Janice

The house is beautiful and very modern looking. I love the waterfall countertop covering in the kitchen. Why not get an estimate from a professional contractor to redo the ceilings and see if you can negotiate a price so you can have the contractor do the work with the dollars you save by offering a lower offer to the seller. Also, I don't know if you'd consider, but painting the ceiling black totally changes the feel of a room and the ceiling just goes away. It would take a lot of nerve to try that and might not work well with the dark kitchen cabinets. The black can look very sophisticated!

• Jessica Green

I agree the flat paint would help. Since they have been painted already you can't just wet and scrape. I had something similar. We sanded.... it was messy and labor intensive but not expensive and looks great now.