Framed Dried Flowers

$2

Lately I have been seeing a lot of framed pressed dried flowers ad on Instagram. It looked wonderful; although I couldn't understand why to press the poor flowers against the glass. So, I decided to create a version where the flowers more free and has some depth.

Picking flowers

I went to the park with my Silica Gel box to pick flowers and leaves. I didn't had a strategy at the time, so I basically picked everything I though would look nice. After I had enough, I covered it all, carefully, with more Silica Gel.

Waiting for 24 hours

Then, I waited for 24 hours for the flowers to get dry. I left my Silica Gel box in a dry place, and placed a book on top of the lid, to make sure it is indeed closed.

Purchasing a picture frame

In the meantime, I went on Amazon and purchased a Copper-coloured frame. Had to use the next-day shipping delivery to be sure it will be there in time for when the flowers are ready.

Takin out the flowers from the box

I have carefully taken out the flowers from the box, and left them on the table. Some needed a shake to remover all the Silica Gel. Then, I got creative. I started to look for the best composition for my frame.

Looking for a comoposition

I was not sure what colours I should use or not,

should I use them all or not?

I have played with the flowers for a good 20 minutes...

and played some more...

Until I have decided what I want to do!

Creating the background

I disassembled the frame, and copied the size of the paper that was placed inside to create the white background.

I glued it to the back of the frame.

Cleaning the frame

I have carefully clean the glass and started to place the flowers inside.

Creating the depth

Then, I wanted to create some depth, as if the flowers are floating inside the frame. I started by cutting 1cm strips of a cardboard, from the Amazon packaging that my frame came in. It was 1cm by the height and width of the frame; I glued it inside. This means the flowers are slightly pressed against the glass so they will stay in place.

Closing it up

That means that the frame could not be sealed again with its "normal" sealing. Then, I created a new seal with triangle cardboard and glued it to the frame.

The finished product

Ta-da!

The depth is really noticeable, I love it!

Let me know what you think.

• Lisa Anders

I'm inspired to do this for my dining room. We are revamping are home and I went with a country style dining room. A bunch of these in frames on my side wall would look fabulous. I don't quite understand how you make them 'float' in the frame. Could you clarify that for me?

• Sunny

Lovely! But I am understanding the "floatation" from the other question, but if they are not glued, why don't they fall over? Or maybe I am not understanding the floatation? Just confused or didn't read clearly. Thanks

• Kristi Hasler

I’m not understanding the cm cardboard and where it was placed to create depth ?