DIY Solar Fountain With Planter

$40

Who doesn’t love the peaceful sound of running water? You can have your own bit of backyard oasis with a DIY solar fountain!

It was a childhood dream of mine to have a babbling brook in my yard like Anne of Green Gables. (Our neighborhood has a stream, so we were close!) I’d still love to have some flowing water in the yard, if the budget allowed it.

I first saw the idea for a DIY solar fountain over at The Interior Frugalista. The fountain part was surprisingly affordable, so I was inspired to make a version of my own for the backyard!

The fountain I put together is a tiered solar fountain with a flower planter on the lower level!

Luckily, I found two large flower pots on summer clearance at Lowe’s…Score! I picked up a large one for the base and a slightly smaller one to make the fountain.

First, punch out the round circles in the bottom of the larger pot to create drainage holes. I punched them out with a screw driver and a hammer. Do this just for the large bottom pot. We want the top one to hold water for the fountain!

Next, place the base in and check it is level. I had an old rubber storage container with ripped handles that I placed in upside down to use as the base to stack the pots. A five gallon bucket would work great for this purpose also!

Then, fill the surrounding empty space with potting soil and add flowers. I planted white petunias because they like full sun and trail out as they grow.

Next, place the top pot onto the base and fill it with water. We filled it to the top with our big watering can.

After I placed the solar fountain in the water, I saw it would keep the water level higher if it were stabilized in the middle to keep the water in.

I used a wire hanger I cut with wire cutters, thinking it would work find to keep the fountain centered. I inserted four straight pieces into the foam base of the fountain in a cross pattern to hold the fountain right in the center of the water.

Unfortunately, the wire hanger began rusting after a couple weeks. I was worried the rust in the water would shorten the life of the fountain. So, after awhile I tried sturdy bamboo skewer sticks inserted the same way, and that has been working perfectly!

Anchoring it in the middle really minimized water loss. However, on a windy day water will still blow out just like with any fountain. I add another watering can of water once in a while to keep it full.

When it’s filled to the tippy top, water spills out very easily. I find it loses water way less often when it is about three quarters full, since a lot of the splashing as the water lands or the wind blows will stay within the pot.

Even if there is a lower water level, this fountain still works great! It just shoots up lower, so less of the fountain action is visible. When the level is low, you stop losing water to the wind completely, so I have never had the fountain run dry.

The fountain also comes with a suction cup. This gives the option of anchoring the fountain to a more shallow basin like a birdfeeder. I am hoping to find the perfect bowl that will fit inside my top pot to try it out as a bird fountain!

This is the little diy solar fountain I purchased. It really works splendidly as long as there is some sun out.

It even has a backup battery that keeps it going for awhile after the sun disappears!

If you love the sound of splashing water like I do, or want to add a fun ornament to your garden on a budget, try out a diy solar fountain!

If you love solar yard projects, check out these solar dollar tree mason jar lanterns!

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Joy Elizabeth

• Sara

Love this idea

• Tracy

I made this fountain. However the water in the top pot that has the water in it was literally empty the next morning. So we thought maybe the pot was leaking. So I went out and bought two additional pots and made it a 3 tier fountain. This morning I went outside and sure enough the top pot is completely empty. I don't understand!

• Joy Elizabeth

Hi Tracy! That is so frustrating!

How deep and wide is your pot? It helps for the pot to be wide, at least 16", and anchored slightly in the center to minimize water loss. Mine is generally about 1/2 to 2/3 full, so I anchor it to be centered in the pot about half way. Has the weather been excessively windy so as to blow out the water rapidly? Or possible an intense dry heat might cause evaporation?