Coolest Little Record Cabinet

$50
Advanced

Vinyl is back in style, so when I came across this cute little Frazier cabinet I snached it up right away! It had dark lacquer over it and i know I wanted to free her from that right away

Sand

Before

I started by taking off the door and legs and started sanding . Sanded with an electric sander with a 120, 220 and 320 grit sandpaper.

Legs

Legs were sanded and the tips were spray painted gold to give it a fresh new look.

sanding

A little razzle dazzle

design

I like to add just a little razzle dazzle to all my pieces, something that makes them unique and one of a kind. Since this was going to hold records and a record player I wanted it to be a really fun piece. I decided on a black/white and gold color scheme and let me imagination fly. I settled on triangles that would be dropping down the side and front. ( it will make sense in a bit)

I used a pencil and ruler to draw my triangles then used painters tape to make sure the lines were sharp.

Paint

Painters tape

I used a generic painters tape on this project as that was what I had on hand and it worked fine. I used white and black valspar furniture paint and some gold acrylic paint.

Coming together nicely

Painting was a time consuming part of the project because i had to wait for each triangle to dry before I could paint the next one as most of them were overlapping. But I stuck to my design plan and carried on. Once everything was dry I applied 2 coats of polyurethane clear coat and it was all done! If you like this transformation follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai

all done

• Sylvia Packer McClain

That is soooo cool. I'm impressed with the features of the piece. The way it has a lift door and storage inside. The geometric design reminds me of The Jetson's. Where did you find yellow vinyl? My aunt and uncle went to Hawaii back in the 60's and they would play Hawaiian records that were red. Gorgeous piece.

• Caseyem11

It looks like you also stained and applied a clear coat of some kind. What did you use? The piece is stunning.

• Ellen

"Once everything was dry I applied 2 coats of polyurethane clear coat and it was all done! " You gotta read what's under the pics!

• Suzanne O'Brien

Did you only use the pencil markings to outline the open triangles, or did you free hand those in black paint before using the polyurethane?

• Robyn Garner

Great resurrections of a Mid-century piece without "ruining" it! Love the triangles! 😎

• Posey

Beautiful!