Give Your Outdated Light a Beaded Makeover for $9!

$9

Beaded chandeliers seem to be moving into the #1 home decor trend right now, they are everywhere! I love them; they look great with all different decor styles, but the one flaw...the BIG price tag! I had an old simple globe flush mount light in my bathroom that was just an eyesore to me, but I really didn't want to spend money on a light fixture for this space because it really isn't a light that will be seen by many, so I started poking around and decided to try to make my own!

This beaded "light" was so easy to make, I think I spent a couple hours on it in total. I used a wire hanging flower basket and black wire from the dollar tree and bought one package of mixed wooden beads from Michaels, in total materials were about $9 - this is much more my style! The beads come in 3 assorted sizes, so before I started I separated the beads by size to make it easier.

Attach a piece of wire to the bottom of the basket and string the beads onto the wire in any pattern you want. I used 3 small, 3 medium, 2 large, 3 medium, 4 small in that order on each string. Once all the wire strings are attached to the basket, separate the pieces evenly around the basket and use a little drop of superglue to keep the wire in place so it doesn't slide around when you install.

Now that the fixture is done (yep it was that simple) it's time to install. I removed the glass globe from the fixture, and used the SAME fixture mounted to the ceiling as my new fixture - this beaded basket only replaced the globe! I used the black wire and attached it to the basket and then attached the basket to the screws on the fixture that used to hold the globe.

Cheers to your easy DIY beaded light that saved you about $150 minimum!

BEFORE
AFTER

• Irene Gronewald

how exactly is it attached?

• Lindsay Foy

The wire floral basket has 3 loops on it where a chain was attached - I used the black wire and created a hook from those loops on the basket and attached it to the screws that were on the fixutre that were used to hold the glass globe (that I removed). Since its wire, I just looped the wire around and around the screws until it was tight.

• Rita

How do you attach it to the ceiling

• Rita

Now I get it. Thanks for responding

• Lindsey

Since you removed the globe, the lights and inside the fixture would be showing. Maybe covering the insides with something and putting fancier bulbs in would dress it up a bit more. Wouldn't like bare bulbs visable and/or glaring.

• Sassy

Loved your idea...will use crystal beads because I like Victorian style.

Very creative on your part.

• Vienna Sausage

I personally think that will look a lot more classy than the wood beads... which reminds me of an abicus.

• Melanie

This is a fabulous idea! I'm thinking about letting strings of beads hang from it for the chandelier look. 😉