Give Your Outdated Light a Beaded Makeover for $9!

$9

Beaded chandeliers seem to be moving into the #1 home decor trend right now, they are everywhere! I love them; they look great with all different decor styles, but the one flaw...the BIG price tag! I had an old simple globe flush mount light in my bathroom that was just an eyesore to me, but I really didn't want to spend money on a light fixture for this space because it really isn't a light that will be seen by many, so I started poking around and decided to try to make my own!

This beaded "light" was so easy to make, I think I spent a couple hours on it in total. I used a wire hanging flower basket and black wire from the dollar tree and bought one package of mixed wooden beads from Michaels, in total materials were about $9 - this is much more my style! The beads come in 3 assorted sizes, so before I started I separated the beads by size to make it easier.

Attach a piece of wire to the bottom of the basket and string the beads onto the wire in any pattern you want. I used 3 small, 3 medium, 2 large, 3 medium, 4 small in that order on each string. Once all the wire strings are attached to the basket, separate the pieces evenly around the basket and use a little drop of superglue to keep the wire in place so it doesn't slide around when you install.

Now that the fixture is done (yep it was that simple) it's time to install. I removed the glass globe from the fixture, and used the SAME fixture mounted to the ceiling as my new fixture - this beaded basket only replaced the globe! I used the black wire and attached it to the basket and then attached the basket to the screws on the fixture that used to hold the globe.

Cheers to your easy DIY beaded light that saved you about $150 minimum!

BEFORE
AFTER

Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 5 questions
  • Irene Gronewald Irene Gronewald on Jun 11, 2020

how exactly is it attached?

• Rita Rita on Jun 11, 2020

How do you attach it to the ceiling

• Lindsey Lindsey on Jun 22, 2020

Since you removed the globe, the lights and inside the fixture would be showing. Maybe covering the insides with something and putting fancier bulbs in would dress it up a bit more. Wouldn't like bare bulbs visable and/or glaring.

Comments

2 of 27 comments
  • Linda Wells Linda Wells on Jun 12, 2021

Looks very high end. Good job.

• Cathleen Cathleen on Jun 15, 2021

Love it! And it's gorgeous and thrifty at the same time...just my cup of tea! Nice job!

Next