Nautical Rope Railing

$75

HEY! I am going to show you how to build a super cool rope railing. I am building it on a new deck but it could easily be done on an existing one, just pop your old railings off and replace them with this one! Or upgrade your dock with this marine feel. Hope you like it!

Video Link

Measure

First you need to cut your posts to size. Mine at 41 inches long because I then made a mark at 6 inches and drew a line with my square.

Relief Cuts

The reason you markers up 6 inches is for relief cuts.

I set my saw to 2 inches depth and made a ton of little relief cuts from the 6 inch line and down then put the back of my hammer in and popped them out. Its super easy if you make your cuts less the 1/4 width.

Attach

Then I used PL Premium glue, put it on my relief cut and place it where I marked out my railings.

I put just one screw in so I could level it before I bolted it with GRK fasteners (aka easier then bolts but just as strong)

Once it was level I used 3 GRK per post

Holes

I marked down 7,14 and 21 inches, then drilled a 1 inch hole (because my rope is just under 1 inch in diameter.

You can drill as many or as little amount as you like. Depends on the look you're going for.

Rope

Then have fun and string your rope threw the holes!

Secure the Rope

Im not even sure what these are called but I found them in the plumbing isle. They are plastic so they wont rust or fall apart and once I tied a knot in the rope I placed them on the opposite end of the knot and they held it on perfectly

Additions

I later added a 2x4 top rail and some post caps that are solar, Im in love!

• Terry Caine

What kinda of saw you used and were can I get 1

• Denika Coakley

I used a circular saw

you can get them at any hardware store. Or try a second hand website you’ll get a better price

some hardware stores even rent them

• Em

Can you explain item 7 where it says after you tied the knot you added them(the plastic pieces) to the opposite end of the knot. I am "knot" getting it thru my thick skull what exactly you did.

• RBJ

Watch the video (Item 1) and you can see how she used the plastic pieces.

• Annie

How to build a pergola?