Repair the underside of a chair and couch?

+16

Our dog, when she was a puppy, made holes in the bottom of my couch and chair, and actually uses them to hide inside of. What material is best to recover the underside of the two furniture pieces?

• William William on Jun 08, 2020

The fabric is a polyester woven material called Cambric. It's a dust cover and allows for air circulation so the wood doesn't dry out

https://www.amazon.com/Sofa-Chair-Dust-Cover-Replacement/dp/B06ZYRYC8K

• I use black weed mat for all the furniture that i make.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jun 09, 2020

This fabric is polyester or polypropylene and is used for the underside of furniture, it keeps out the dust and dirt. You can find this at Joann's and of course on Amazon. Just staple it into place.

• K. Rupp K. Rupp on Jun 09, 2020

Its a black dust cover. You can get it at Walmart in the upholstery section which is cheaper than Joannes. I have a picture of it in my post....

https://karupp-did.net/bench-part-3/

scroll to the bottom...."upholstery dust cover Fabric". I applied it to the bottom of that bench so you can see how I applied it. You will need a staple gun. Good luck!

• Check at a fabric store in the upholstery section. It's called Cambric.

• Unexpected Elegance Unexpected Elegance on Jun 09, 2020

Here is some information on the fabric:

https://www.upholsteryconnection.com/products/cambric

• Recreated Designs Recreated Designs on Jun 09, 2020

Hi Marion, depending on whether the fabric will be seen or not, there are many choices. You can use something inexpensive like a tight weave burlap if it won't be seen or something like a muslin.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Jun 09, 2020

If it’s just the fabric on the underside that hides the springs and stuff - you can just pull the torn fabric off and have nothing. :)

• Em Em on Jun 09, 2020

I would recover. It the dog gets back under too dangerous and could get stuck. Cover with any type of thick cloth. Check material department for remnants (sale priced) at places like JoAnn fabrics and tear off the old and staple new on. Take measurements and allow enough to turn under a half inch of so on all sides.

• Janet Janet on Jun 09, 2020

Our cats did that to the underside of our box spring mattress. I took an old sheet and attached it with a staple gun. They never ripped that off.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 10, 2020

Hello Marion,

Hessian or Sacking might be an idea, or maybe an old sheet stapled to the frame. Good luck!

• Linda Linda on Jun 12, 2020

I used an old sheet. I folded it so it was two ply and used a staple gun to attach it to the borrom.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jun 12, 2020

You need thin sheet like materials but I would wait till he can’t get under there anymore

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 13, 2020

Upholsters use a light weight black cotton which you can buy online or any upholstry fabric store. I used heavy black plastic and staple gun to repair the underside of my box springs my two kittens made a hole in.... and they never did make another hole.

• Marion Marion on Jun 14, 2020

Hey team....thanks for all the tips! The original material is a dark gray woven material but I couldn't find anything like it. Now that I have a tip for a sheet, I can check the thrift stores, or I can order the Cambria.

Be well, be safe and thanks again!

• Ted Thornton Ted Thornton on Mar 01, 2021

Mobile home belly covering. Try a good hardware or mobile home supply store. Should sell in two or three different sizes.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jun 23, 2021

You need a black weaved fabric something thin but strong go to Michael’s and ask the associates for it they should recommend someething if not have it.