The Breathtaking Way She Decides to Use an Old Kitchen Cabinet

$50

As you all know, I am on Facebook Marketplace daily. Scoping out deals and freebies! Just a few weeks ago, I spotted this custom made kitchen cabinet. It was all wood and in great condition and the asking price was $20.00. The sellers were converting to open shelving and had the original cabinets for sale. This was the last one! There was storage space inside, so I knew it would make a great functional piece, in just about any room of the home. It just needed a few minor adjustments.

For starters, the cabinet needed height. I had these four furniture feet in my stash that I had found at the Thrift Store for $1.00 each, and they were unfinished. They would be perfect for my project.

The Hubs drilled a hole in each corner of the bottom of the cabinet. He then screwed the feet into place. It was a solid wood piece so it would hold the feet nicely without any wobbling.

I chose the paint color Drop Cloth from Dixie Belle. I have fallen in love with this color! My walls in the dining room are camel colored which would coordinate well. 

The only prep work that was needed for my repurposed kitchen cabinet was giving it a good cleaning. I used my vinegar and water solution to clean the cabinet thoroughly. Half vinegar and half water proportions. I did not remove the doors. I normally do, but I wanted the hardware to be painted so that it could be distressed later. 

After the cabinet dried, I applied the first coat of paint using my Wooster silvertip paintbrush. I also painted the feet. I had the hubs help me place the cabinet on my workshop table. It was easier to paint that way instead of having to work low on the floor.

After allowing the cabinet to dry for about 3 hours, I then applied the second coat. It only took two coats of the Drop Cloth for full coverage. 

The next day, (I started late afternoon on this project) I took my 220-grit sandpaper and distressed around the edges, heavily! I wanted a worn, chippy look. After distressing, I also sanded the entire piece lightly to achieve a smooth finish.

I felt the doors needed some help. They were plain. I had this Americana Décor stencil that I had purchased off Amazon a while back. I have always been afraid of stenciling, but I thought, heck why not give it a try. If I goof, I can paint over it. 

I used brown craft paint for the stencil. To apply the paint to the stencil, I used a makeup sponge. I read somewhere they are great to stencil with so I thought I would give it a try. I used a paper plate and squeezed out a quarter size amount. The sponge was dabbed into the paint and then dabbed a few times on a clean area of my plate until any excess paint was removed.

Then, I just simply dabbed ever so lightly up and down. Almost like a light pounding. I then went back over and dapped with my sponge just to make sure there were not any areas with too much paint. 

I removed the stencil once I had it all filled in. A big sigh of relief! It didn’t look too bad!

I did the other door using the same method. Just be sure to use a ruler and line everything up so you don’t have one wonky stencil!

Once the stencil paint dried COMPLETELY, I used a piece of 220-grit sandpaper to sand lightly over the stenciled area. Remember, I was going for the worn look.

I sealed the entire piece with one coat of Dixie Belle’s Best Dang Wax.

The cabinet did not have the hardware. I found these two wood knobs in my stash that had a few dings! They would be perfect!

I loved the way my repurposed kitchen cabinet turned out! And for less than $30 bucks because I had the hardware and feet on hand.

Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Christina Faye Repurposed

• Heje

Did you add support for the leg/feet to attach to the bottom? Love the cabinet!

• Debra Dusseau

Did you add a top on this cabinet ? I have not seen one with solid top.

• Del Penn

I have a vent pipe in the middle of the wall that may be to expensive to move so I need som ideas to cover it

• Shuganne

Del, could you repost this in the general questions area with a picture? Click on the magnifying glass at the top left of the webpage: more people will see it there. Click on the camera icon, like the one next to the Answer This button below, to select an image from your computer, laptop, phone, whatever you use to get to the internet. Thanks, budding designers and blossoming DIYers are just waiting to stretch their thinking caps and share ideas.

• Susie Bickmore

So cute.. I am going to start looking for cabinets now!!

• Connie Eggen

That really turned out nice and very little investment. I am looking for a project piece for my daughter as she needs additional storage and a serving space.