How to Make a Fitted Sheet Out of a Flat Sheet.

$10

I use flat sheets for many things, but not for making my bed. This tutorial I'll show you how to turn an unused flat sheet into a fitted sheet.

I generally don't use flat sheets on any of the beds in my house. We use down comforters with duvet covers on our beds because they're so cozy and because they expedite the bed making process in the morning. So I usually have a stack of unused flat sheets in my laundry room and linen closet.Along with making fitted sheets out of my flat sheets, I use my flat sheets to make a number of other things... duvet covers, face masks, lining for drapes, cafe curtains, pillow cases, etc. etc. In fact, I sometimes shop thrift stores for 100% cotton flat sheets for various projects.

Step 1. Lay your flat sheet on the bed, lining up two sides with the bottom of the mattress. This way you only have to cut and hem two sides.When you place the sheet on the bed be sure to put the right side down so when you pin and sew your fitted sheet the right sides are together.

2. Pull the corner of the sheet straight out forming a right triangle and pin along the edge of the mattress from top to bottom.This doesn't need to be super snug because you'll sew elastic around the bottom edge of the sheet to snug it up and hold it on the mattress.

4. Sew a seam where you pinned.

5. Cut off the triangle of fabric outside the seam and zig zag stitch over the edge to finish the seam. Overlock(zig zag stitch) or serge the seams as this is a sheet and will see plenty of washing machine time.

6. Sew in the elastic. Pin the center of the elastic to the corner seam of the sheet. I cut my elastic 12 inches.7. Use a zig zag stitch to sew on the elastic. With the center pin holding the elastic to the corner of the sheet, pull one end of the elastic to stretch it fully and sew it to the sheet while stretched out. When you let go of the elastic it'll gather up the corner of the sheet.

Beautifully gathered corner. Repeat this process on all four corners.

You're finished...now install your new fitted sheet.

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Mimzy lombardo

• Joan Stanley

I can't agree with this. The cost of decent quality elastic would be almost as much as buying a fitted sheet.

• MADI

I use the Military fold, I just like that tight fitted look plus I don't have a sewing machine ;~)!