Upgrade Your Space With These Faux High End Pendant Lights

$30

Need a renter-friendly solution to your pendant lights? This project is for you! You don’t need to spend big bucks to have stunning high end pendant lights, you just need a little innovation! This project doesn’t require any power tools and you can easily find everything you’ll need at your local hardware and home goods stores. As a renter myself, I had been wanting to update my kitchen to match my aesthetic a bit more. This project is a quick, easy, and budget-friendly way to do just that. Follow me as I do it myself and show you how you can as well!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

DIY Faux Pendant Lights

Tools and Materials:

• Mini hacksaw
  • Lampshade
  • Clear silicone

Remove Your Pendant Light

Remove Your Pendant Light

Before I did anything, I needed to remove my current pendant light. As I’m a renter, I made sure to save all parts of the light fixture that came with the apartment in a safe space so that when I eventually move out I can put everything back to the way it was originally. If your light fixtures are glass, take extra care when removing and storing them.

Unscrew Carefully
Store Safely

Create the New Pendant Light

Create the New Pendant Light

I started by removing the circular piece at the top of the lampshade where it would usually be screwed in place on a lamp. If you have power tools you can use one here, but I wanted to keep this project renter friendly so I’ll show you how to do it with a mini hacksaw. 

Cut

Do this part carefully as you don’t want to slip and injure yourself.

Hang the Lampshade

Add Silicone

I added a tiny ball of silicon to the end of the three pieces of metal that were connected to the circular piece we just removed. I decided to go with silicone because while it will secure it in place, it will also be easy to remove it when I move out. 

Hang the Lampshade

Then I thread the pendant light through the three pieces of metal and secured it in place.

Kitchen Pendant Lighting

And that’s it! Just a few minutes out of my day and I have already made my rental feel homier and more my style. How would you upgrade your rental? Let me know in the comments below! 

• Chrissykraft

Would this work with cone shaped shades?

• Susan Mercurio

You said that you put the lampshade on the pendant lights and then you "secured" them. How did you "secure" them?

• Pamok

If you look at the first picture with the old lampshades, go from the bottom up, lampshade, socket, decorative metal block, another decorative metal block modified. She secured the new lampshade tines to the top of the topmost decorative metal block.