How to Transform Your Plain Wall to Shiplap for $1!

$1

Shiplap is everywhere and keeps popping up more and more every time I turn around. I have always been a fan but felt I didn’t have the right place for it, like it belonged in a big old farmhouse or a nice coastal house…but that is so not the case! Check out how easy it can be to transform your wall into a "sharpie shiplap wall" and cost $1 in total...all I had to buy was a sharpie marker from the dollar tree!

Start by painting the wall white, if it isn't already, and then take a dry brush and brush left to right to give it a wood grain kind of look. Once the paint dries, measure every 6 inches starting at the floor and go up the wall and make a mark with your pencil on the wall. Make sure its big and dark enough for you to easily find it again.

Once you’ve made your marks, take a level and a yardstick and draw a line across the wall, making sure it’s level all the way across! I checked my level on both ends and the middle just to make sure. And if you don't have a yardstick, any straight edged piece of wood will work!

Then take your sharpie marker and trace the pencil line, I used to level again with my yardstick just to make sure it stays level across the wall.

And there's your DIY sharpie shiplap wall! If you end up making a line too thick, or find any type of mistake, just use some white paint to cover and make the line again! It takes a double take before realizing this isn't actual panels on the wall, especially in areas with are covered with items for example, entry way walls with coats/baskets or in the kitchen as a backdrop. You could use this anywhere!

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors

• Flipturn

Your lines look very straight an even.

Did you use a level set against the yard stick?

• Lindsay Foy

I did! I held the yardstick against the wall and placed the level on top of the yardstick..measured at the end, the middle and then the other end...once it was level I drew the line across.

• Gaylyn Tate

Lindsay,

did you make a mud room structure using cabinets from Amazon. I thought I had it saved, but can’t find it. Help please if it was your post. It was so ingenious and good looking.

• Lorraine

is that a black sharpie? it looks gray

• Lindsay Foy

Yes a black sharpie, one of the photos shows the grey pencil line which was traced with a black sharpie

• Vicki Hopkins Adkins

Wow, what a great and easy idea! I have the perfect wall to try this technique. Thanks!

• Lynne

looks just like ship lap. awesome job!!

• Marcy Dillman

I tried this on a corner niche. It fools your eye from a distance but up close, yes, it’s lines on the wall :)

I have textured walls - it would probably work better if your walls are an untextured flat surface.