DIY Uncle Sam Decor Hanger

$0

For my craft I am going to make an Uncle Sam garden flag. I decided to pull 6 of my extra blind slats to do this DIY, but you could use several different other items, you could use wood slats, wood shims or even paint stir sticks. If you don’t have blind slats and like my idea, check your local thrift stores I have found blinds for our daughter’s home for $5. You can make several crafts out of a whole blind. I shared several DIYs with them. You can check them out here – BLIND SLATS DIYS.

Using the extra PVC blind slats for a garden flag would prevent wear and tear from the weather. I am using 6 slats for this project. Let’s get started with the cute July 4th garden flag.

Taking 6 blind slats and cutting 10 pieces from them.

• Four 8 inch slats
  • Four 14 inch slats
  • Two 15 inch slats

Taking the four 14 inch slats laying them flat together. Attaching the four 8 inch slats to the top and bottom of the 14 inch slats to the front and the back. I want my flag to have a front and a back. If you want to use this as a wall hanger than you can skip the back side.

We will let that sit for 15 minutes.

Paint the front and back all white. I know the blinds are white, but some are dingy I want to make it a crisp white.

Measure up on one side 8 inches, mark and on the other side measure up 6 inches, mark.

Taking a piece of painter’s tape and place at the marks. You should have a diagonal stripe.

Cover every other slat with painter’s tape.

I am using Flag Red craft paint to the exposed slats above the diagonal tape. I gave it 3 coats. Remove the tape after the last coat before it dries.

Let dry. Taking some raffia and applying it underneath the red and white stripes. I applied some power grab to each side under the red and white strips. Adding raffia strips on the glue. This will be Uncle Sam’s hair. 🙂

Put that aside and let dry. Grab the two 15 inch slats painting them with blue. I am using Cobalt Blue craft paint.

Taking one of the 15 inch blue slats adding power grab to the back. I placed it on top of the raffia and red and white stripes.

Using a wooden star to trace around on the blue slat. Painting the stars white.

To give him a little bow tie I took a piece of ribbon and tied a knot in the center, added a drop of power grab in the lower center to attach the bow.

Turning it over and doing the same thing with the red and white paint. Adding raffia in long strips across the slats and then adding the blue slat with painted white stars.

To be able to hang my piece I drilled two holes to the top of the hat.

Taking some strong wire and adding it to the top of my hat. I thread the wire through the drilled hole wrapped it around a pin. This will stop the wire from going through the hole when hanging. I did my wire two ways for you, one to use as a wall hanger and the other way to use on a flag pole like I am doing.

Last step will be giving it one good coat of a top clear coat sealer. Front and back.

Let it dry for 12 hours.

After it dries hang it on your garden pole or wall and enjoy. Isn’t it the cutest thing….ever?

For the full tutorial jump over to my blog!

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Decorate and More with Tip

• Leslie

Hi, just a suggestion for ease of removing and adding the plaque to your welcome post. The Dollar Tree has Carabiner Clasps for a dollar for 2 I think and you can keep the wire on the plaques and hook the clasps through and then hook the clasps onto the welcome sign. Ebay has a 10 pack for 3.95 free shipping. :) carabiner clasps

• Maude LaFountain

Now that is just to dang cute !!!! I love it ...Great Job !!!