Asked on Jun 12, 2020

FIRE ANTS

DesertRoseBetsyChloe Crabtree
+12

HOW DO I GET RID OF "FIRE ANTS"??, I KNOW I HAVE SPENT OVER A THOUSAND DOLLARS IN SEED & "ORTHO POWDER"..."HELP!"

• Shirley B. Mcdaniel

I bought a wardrobe & it has a warped hinge on top right & won't shut all the way , How can I fix this so it will shut even with the other door

• Dianne

Have you tried boiling water? You will need to pour it down the hole of the colony, but it does work as does cayenne pepper.

• Janice

A fix that worked or me was sprinkling Jiffy Cornmeal Muffin Mix all around the area in which the fire ants are. Within a day or so there were no traces o them. I know it sounds strange and I was dubious about it but it did wok. Atter a few months I needed to do it again, but that's much better than spending $ on something that seems to do absolutely nothing. Perhaps give it a try and then post your results? I do hope it works for you!

• Nan W.

I use Amdro with good success.

• Morgan McBride

My husband says set them on fire

• Redcatcec

Where are your fire ants? If in the ground on a colony pour a tea kettle of boiling water on it.

We have used Terro, available at diy stores in an orange pkg, just follow directions-it is boric acid. The workers take this back to the colony and it kills them, right down to the queen(s).

Another way is to dust them with food grade DE (diatomaceous earth), also at diy stores, it destroys their exoskeleton.

Jiffy Corn Muffin mix, just sprinkle it right from the pkg, do not bake. Apply to the area where they are.

• I second pouring a kettle of boiling water on them.

• Oliva

Amdro appears to be the best solution for fire ants, but note that repeat applications will most likely be needed. You should contact your local County extension Agent or a nearby Agricultural studies department in a local University for more specific advice.

• P

if your whole square block applies Amdro to all yards & especially visible nests on same day you may all beat them - otherwise they migrate to your neighbor until he treats his mounds then they come back to you untreated (that day) yard!

Hi Shirley: This is what I used for my ant problem, it may work for you, too.

Make a mix of 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 powdered sugar. Mix well and put around the spots they are in your garden, or inside your home, it's harmless to people and pets. For outside use, you can put it in a bottle, like a pill bottle or something like that. Cut a hole on the edge of the cap, and lay the bottle on it's side so the ants can come in and get the mix. This way, it stays dry if it should rain. They will take it back to the nest and it should kill them. I'd keep it out there all season if you can. The mix makes a gas and the ants can't pass gas, so it kills them. Anything else that eats it will just taste the baking soda and say "Yuck" and walk off. It won't hurt anything that can pass gas, so it's completely safe. It helps to know what type of ant you are trying to get rid of, too. Try this site, scrolling down to see the different types of ants and how to deal with them. https://www.thespruce.com/ant-control-4127879 Good luck.

• DesertRose

We had the same problem with fire ants when we bought a lot in a new subdivision that was surrounded by a field. We had fire ant hills all over the property! We tried everything from poison to bait. Nothing helped for long. Then an old timer told us to use corn meal. They take it to the nest and it kills the colony. I rode on our mower (to keep out of the ants) and dumped part of a Jiffy cornmeal box on every hill. In 3 days they were all gone. A few hills had a few ants and we poured more on those hills. The next day we had NO ants! Every spring a hill or two would pop up and I kept Jiffy cornmeal in the pantry to put on the new hills. We never had trouble again. They cannot digest the corn meal, so it kills them. We used Jiffy because it is sweet and they readily carried it all down into the colony nest. What a relief! We have never had ant trouble since, not for long anyway. I always keep Jiffy in my pantry for ant trouble!