How do you clean an old wooden door?

+14

I have a front door to my apartment that I think is over a 100 yrs old. It needs to be freshened up. Do you have any suggestions?

• Mogie Mogie on Jun 12, 2020

If you want to leave the original patina, and just clean up, try Murphy's Oil Soap. Then a good wood conditioner.

• You can take it down and sand the wood back and add new stain and varnish. Another option would be to paint the door, But if it has great features I would go with trying to restore it.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jun 12, 2020

I usually start with a bucket of soapy water, and microfiber cloths. Wipe it down really well. If it has a lot of dirt ingrained into it a product like Krudkutter and a magic eraser or soft scrub brush will really help. Good luck and stay safe!

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jun 12, 2020

Warm soapy water and a rag to start with, be careful to not leave the water on the wood too long, then wipe down with clear water. You might try blue dawn in the wash water as an effective cleaner or Murphy's Oil soap.

• K. Rupp K. Rupp on Jun 12, 2020

bona to clean and liquid gold spray will give a nice polish.

• Em Em on Jun 12, 2020

Does it have any finish on it at all? Clean with Awesome spray cleaner from the Dollar Store. It removes dirt no other cleaner will touch. Rinse and let dry. You can use "Wipe On" polyurethane in a can with a rag that will give it an even tone and protect the finish. Liquid Gold is more for indoor furniture use. I use it. I love it. But I don't know it will withstand the elements if you are using on the outside. If it is on the inside it is oil and will give the door a nice flat finish. The poly will bring out woodgrain and seal and protect as well.

• Linda Linda on Jun 12, 2020

If you are only considering cleaning it then I would use a degreaser to clean it. Something like what I have linked below. I used it to clean the floor in front of our stove because it had a build up of grease from cooking and it worked great.

https://amzn.to/2AsV8jf

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Jun 12, 2020

We love to use Howard’s feed n’wax for old wood. It’s easy to use and the results are beautiful.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jun 12, 2020

You could try to lightly sand it then just get clear varnish and refresh it up

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Jun 12, 2020

It depends if the door is stained or painted. I would sand the door with a fine sandpaper and then re-stain or repaint it.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jun 12, 2020

Start with a good wood cleaner like OrangeGlo. If it has any sticky residue or build up, scrub with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Once it is clean, you can use a product like Old English Scratch Cover, Tung Oil, or Rejuvenate to add a new luster to it.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 12, 2020

Hello. Could you possibly post a picture of your doorfor us to see its present condition? If the door is painted or if the door is stained might be considerations to offer different solutions or suggestions.

• Sand it down and restain it. Some minwax or wood oil will work well.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 15, 2020

Hi Connie: I'd clean it with Citristrip and once clean, I'd restain or repaint it. Citristrip is very easy and safe to use. You can get it at most home improvement stores. Good luck

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 10, 2021

Hello Connie,

If timber or metal, use the appropriate paint available from DIY stores. If Hardwood, then refresh the varnish. If faded use a coloured Varnish or Wax.