Wood and Copper Herb Markers

$20

I love the look of wood and copper together so I decided to make herb markers using these materials.

Supplies

You will need:

• Copper grounding wire
  • Lattice moulding (1/4″ x 1-1/4″ x 1)
  • 1″ Letter Board Letters
  • Stain or black & brown acrylic paint
  • Copper metallic spray paint
  • Glue
  • drill/ 1/8″ drill bit
  • wire cutters/needle nose pliers
  • saw-miter or handsaw

Paint

I started by writing down the names of the herbs I planned to plant. For me, it was rosemary, thyme, sage, cilantro and basil. (I’m laughing at the ‘M’ in the above photo because I have no idea why I painted that too!) Then I chose the beginning letter for each herb out of the letter board letters. I took a pair of scissors and cut off the little pieces that are used to cling to a letter board and spray painted then a metallic copper.

Cut

While those were drying, I took my lattice molding and cut it into 1-1/2″ pieces with my miter saw. This will be your height–they are taller than they are wide.

Drill

Before drilling, I placed the letter on the wood and pencil marked where I would be drilling. The holes ended up being 1 cm from the top. I used a 1/8″ drill bit to drill the hole. Then it was onto staining. I used Dark Walnut stain on mine.

Glue

Next I glued the letter onto the wood. I used E6000, it’s my go-to glue when I craft because it is stronger than regular white glue, but if white glue works for you, go for it! I tried my glue gun first, but it didn’t work for me. I think it was because of the stain surface won’t let it adhere.

Wire

I bought 8 AWG copper wire (called grounding wire) at a local big box store. It came wound up in a plastic packet. I cut it in 10″ pieces with my wire cutters then used my needle nose pliers to make a small curl on the end.

I found it easiest to attach the wood square by sliding it from the straight end and looping it around the curled end.

And there you have it, copper and wood herb markers! If you are using these outside, you may want to spray them with a sealant.

You may also like my Wooden Vegetable Markers

Or my Farmhouse Style Herb Planters

20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Pamela - DIY vibes

• Mikefitz

I love the look of the black and bronze planters. Are they terra cotta? What did you paint them with?