DIY Ceiling Fan Update

$10

I had initially wanted to buy a new ceiling fan for our living room, until I got the idea of just giving it a nice update/refresh. Our house has all the farmhouse vibes and I knew that this update would go with our vibe so much better than the way the fan looked before. Doing this update was so much better then going and buying a new fan and so much more cost effective.

I absolutely love how this turned out! Gives me all the farmhouse vibes.

Scroll down to see more pictures and the steps to do it yourself if you please. :)

Gather all the supplies you need.

I used bulb guards from Menards, they are only $2.49 a piece and that's so budget friendly, a screw driver, Rust-Oleum gloss black paint and spray paint.

Here are the two before photos I took.

The color of the fan was a bronze/brown color before I painted it black.

I took off all the fan blades and painted the fan with the black paint. I used a small paint brush so that it didn't drip all over and it was easier to get into the small spots.

Once I was done painting the fan, I took the fan blade brackets outside and sprayed them with the black spray paint. I only did one coat on the fan and the fan blade brackets, but you can do more if you please.

When you get the bulb guards they have gold on them and I didn't want that to be seen, so I took the same spray paint that I used for the fan blade brackets and sprayed the gold black. I think it looks so much better completely black.

Here you will see the color that that fan blades used to be, which is the lighter color. Now the darker color is facing down and I like it much better. It was nice that the fan blades have two colors, one on each side.

Next up was putting the fan back together after all the parts had dried.

Here is the completed easy DIY refresh to our living room ceiling fan. It was so easy, and very affordable.

I love how these bulb guards look so rustic.

This looks so much better now and goes with the flow of the colors of our home.

• MARY

How did the bulb guards go on?

• Deelana

They have little screws on the side that you can loosen to fit over the the spot where the light bulb goes and then you tighten them down!

• Carol

i don’t see where you painted the blades, were they already black on one side?

• Deelana

It’s a dark walnut/red color and black. Could have been the lighting from the photo that makes it looks black.

• Cathy Hooper

How to make jewelry

• Victoria Starck

Couldn't get wire cages so I used pencil holder from the dollar tree paint my blades black and the rest silver

• Celia
    4 minutes ago

Love this. I will use edison bulbs in mine.