How To Make An Outdoor Playhouse From Pallet

$200
3 Weeks
Advanced

I wanted to create a outdoor playhouse for my grand kids. I came up with using a pallet and cedar planks.

Creating the base for the playhouse

I started with a pallet and that was the base for the playhouse. I needed plywood to nail on top of the pallet to create for the floor. There is lots of building going on so I asked the construction site next door if they had some plywood. They were very nice and gave me some. I measured and cut the plywood with my circulating saw and nail it down to the pallet,

Add the frame for the playhouse

I was able to find a bunch of 2 by 4 and I created 4- 4 by 4 that will be used as the frame that holds up the roof.

Creating the roof.

I needed 5 more 2 by 4 to create the roof. The pitch of this playhouse is very easy to do. You will need to buy 2 90 degree braces that is for 2 by 4 lumber. The 2 by 4 boards will need to be mitered at a 45-degree angle to fit flush on top of your posts. You will need to cut a 90-degree angle off of the end of the 45 to make it line up with the end of your 4×4. They are not mitered at the top. Before you attach the roof there is one other piece you have to attach which is the 72 ” 2 by 4. You will need to add a brace on both 90-degree braces as shown in the photo below.

Attach the roof to the 4 by 4

Once everything is mitered you can attach it to all the 2 by 4 braces. Then attach the 72 ” long 2 by 4 across so it lays on the 90-degree brace. Make sure you drill the screws in each hole of the brace into the wood.

Attaching the cedar planks

The next step is adding the planks to the floor and back. Measure the planks and cut them with a miter saw box. I used finishing nails to attached them to the pallet and back of the 4 by 4.

Adding the canvas.

Take two 6 by 9 canvas and sew them together. See pic below to see how to position the canvas on the roof to take measurements for grommets.

Add the canvas to the roof.

Once the canvas is positioned you can inset a rope into the grommets holes and tie the canvas to the end of the 4 by 4.

Use eye hooks to tie the canvas

You can use 4 eye hooks that are inserted into each 4 by 4.

Decorate the playhouse

You can use pillows to sit down and baskets filled with books and toys for the kids. Hope you enjoyed my outdoor cedar playhouse.

31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Simple Nature Decor

• Pam-ella

That's adorable! Will you have to take the canvas in when it rains?

• Sam Haddock

Sails for boats are made of canvas, so are convertible tops. I think the difference of any material being able to stay outside is whether it's canvas or not. Hope that helps you.

• Pris

How do you keep the spiders out?

• Lisa West

Brown recluse is the worst spider ever in the united states as far as I'm concerned. Ut may be educational until a child gets bit and a hospital run is required. Any way spray it down with some that will repel the spiders. Off in the kids for mosquitos. Other than that let those kids have fun. They should be outside any way and not in front of the TV video games etc. Time to get kids back to a normal childhood of bike riding building tree houses swimming etc. love this and I would do it for my kids. Unfortunately they are adults now. When they have kids if they have kids I and hubby will help them to build a play house. I feel they should help when they are the right age of course. Building and the mathematics is important. Blanket forts are the best tooo.

• Elizabeth

Hi, This is so sweet. Are those cheerleader pom poms around opening? Ty

• Gina Yarber

Don't have grandkids yet, but I'm going to share this with my sister. Also thinking it would be nice for my dog, she's getting older and it's getting harder for her to get in and out of the doghouse, but having the open end, she'd be able to have some shade and protection from the elements. She hates being inside. 😁👍

• RoseElla P. Lyke

Good morning! I am HOPING to make this with help for the little people.