Create an Anthropologie Inspired Faux Paint Dipped Vase for $10

$10

I absolutely love Anthropologie’s home goods, especially their vases. What I don’t particularly love are their prices. Yikes! Not to worry, it’s easy to recreate some of their stunning vases with vases you may already have lying around at home and some spray paint. If you don’t have the right vase for this project you can easily pick one up at your local dollar store, thrift store, or even at a garage sale. One of the larger vases is still at least $40 even when it’s on sale at Anthropologie, but I’m going to show you how you can create your own for just ten bucks! Follow my step-by-step tutorial below to start creating!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Ceramic vase
  • Frog tape
  • Plastic bag
  • Stone spray paint
  • White glossy spray paint
  • Sealant 

Create a Design with Tape

Create a Design with Tape

I started by taping my pitcher at a subtle angle. Make sure that the edge of the tape where you’ll be painting is completely stuck to the pitcher or vase. Because it’s a rounded surface, the top edge will buckle, but as we aren’t painting there it’s not a problem.

Line Up the Tape

I made sure to line up the tape right under the handle. 

Tape Design

I’m going for a hand-dipped look with my paint, so I made sure that the tape curved to give off this effect. 

Wrap with a Bag

Then I wrapped the top with a plastic bag and taped it in place to protect it from errant spray paint. 

Paint the Bottom

Faux Stone Spray Paint

For the next step I headed on outside. Make sure to spray paint outside not just because of the fumes, but because it will stick to whatever it lands on as well, and you don’t want to accidentally paint anything in your home. 

Paint the Bottom

I added five or six light coats of the spray paint. I used a stone spray paint for the bottom of the pitcher. I love this product and it really made my vase look expensive.

Remove the Tape

Remove the Tape

I removed the tape while the paint was still wet. I wanted to retain a nice crisp line, and if you let the paint dry while the tape is still on it will dry in one layer and bits will come off with the paint. 

Paint the Top

Tape Off the Bottom

Once my paint had completely dried, I went back in with tape and taped along the same line again, this time making sure that the taut edge was along the top of the stone paint I had already painted on. I didn’t cover with a plastic bag like I did with the stone paint because it’s easier to direct where the white paint would go. I’ve found that with stone spray paints, bits tend to get all over the place and I really wanted the top of my pitcher to be a smooth, glossy white. 

Paint the Top

Then I added five to six layers of white glossy paint. I painted in a downward motion to make sure I didn’t accidentally get any on the stone paint.

Carefully Remove Tape

Then I carefully removed the tape once again while the paint was still wet.

Seal

Seal

Using a matt spray clear coat I sealed the entire pitcher and then let it fully dry. 

Doesn’t it look like a million bucks? Nobody would ever believe that this beautiful paint dipped pitcher only cost you $10 to put together. I filled mine with faux pink tulips for some bright spring decor. How would you style yours? Let me know in the comments below!

Welcome to the Woods

• Li

Looks fantastic. I was wondering why you didn't paint the white first. Then you would only have to tape of once.

• Millies_mom47

Oh one thing I forgot to mention no matter what, I would still use a plastic bag to cover the part you want left white.

• Water workout whiz

I'm new to DIY. I have a shaky hand and I am not artistic. However your project and clear explanation of steps let's me know this is a project I will be able.to master. Thank you.

• Tonya
    Just now

Great job!!! Looks great!tfs