Faux Wood Look Paint Technique

$100

I wanted to give our two kitchen doors a makeover when we renovated our kitchen, and I really wanted them to look like old weathered wood. I couldn't afford new doors, so this paint technique was the next best thing! I have so many more tutorials over on my blog - I hope to see you there!

Step 1

Be sure to tape off your door where you don’t want paint (i.e. the wall, the door frame, etc.) Also be sure to remove your door knobs.

Step 2:

Use your 3″ brush to paint on your base coat of paint – ours was the Valspar Chalk Paint in Bonnet Ribbon. Paint your molding (if you have it) first, and then the rest of the door.

Step 3:

Apply 2 coats of your base paint, then allow to dry.

Step 4:

Apply dark wax all over your doors with a small flour sack towel (I actually just leave a small one in my wax containers permanently. I highly recommend wearing gloves! Apply in vertical strokes to all parts of the door except the very top, middle, and bottom pieces directly above and below your horizontal moulding. Allow to dry – 30 min or less.

Step 5:

Wife off excess wax with a clean flour sack towel. Use sanding blocks in various grits to distress to your liking. If you’d like, dry brush Linen White chalk paint mixed with your base paint color onto the door for added distressing. If my paint looked a little too streaky after the dry brushing, or if I could see obvious brush strokes, I just blended it all together with a paper towel. The dry brushing/blending technique really adds another layer of texture and allows you to distress more than just with the sanding blocks. PRO TIP: Only dry brush in places that would NATURALLY accumulate distressing – i.e. corners and moulding. If you dry brush smack dab in the middle of a panel, it looks less natural.

Step 6 (optional):

If you want to add a chalkboard panel to your door (great for kiddos!), tape off the panel you want to paint and use your 3″ brush and chalkboard paint to brush the paint inside that panel. Mine needed 4 coats to be fully covered! 

Step 7:

Allow to dry, and remove tape.

Step 8:

Reattach your door knobs, remove any tape that’s left, and voila! Your ugly basic door is now much prettier! Add a fun saying in chalk and maybe a wreath, and you're done!

This technique can be used on all sorts of things - furniture, cabinets, etc! Enjoy - and see you over on my blog for more fun DIY projects!

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Memorial Day Crafts
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Ana Ochoa - Fiddle Leaf Interiors