How to repair a leaky outside faucet ?

+8
  • Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Jun 14, 2020

This video tutorial is what I followed and solved my problem! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cALQ3PR7k30

• Sometimes the nut behind the valve needs to be tightened. Or it could need a new washer.

• Cindy Cindy on Jun 14, 2020

Hi Joyce. See if it's got it's own shut-off, you have to shut the main off. Then get two pipe wrenches and hold the water pipe with one pipe wrench and take the other one and twist off the faucet, making sure to not let the water pipe twist. Put some teflon tape on the threads of the water pipe and then twist a new faucet on while holding the water pipe again. Make sure it doesn't turn. Twist it until it is snug and facing down. Turn the main on and check for leaks. If by chance it's leaking, just twist the faucet a little more until it stops. Good luck Joyce.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 14, 2020

Where exactly from the faucet is it leaking? How old are the connections?

• Joyce Joyce on Jun 14, 2020

It is where you turn on the faucet. It drips when turned off. Think it might need a new seal inside. Over 50 years old

• I did mine the weekend and it turned into a nightmare. The seal for an outside tape was different from the inside ones, so make sure the have the correct one. Mine also had a plastic joint on it which crumbled when I took the faucet off. And unlucky for us it was after hours. Lol

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 14, 2020

Hi Joyce: Where is it leaking? It may be as simple as a new washer, or the hose isn't put on straight or it's just not turned off tightly. Hope it's one of these:) Good luck

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jun 15, 2020

Check the hose connector. I was going crazy with one until I realized the metal connector on the hose wasn't sealing because it had a small dent where the threads are. Good luck and stay safe!

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Feb 28, 2021

Here are some ideas https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=How%20to%20repair%20a%20leaky%20outside%20faucet%20%3F&rs=typed&term_meta[]=How%20to%20repair%20a%20leaky%20outside%20faucet%20%3F%7Ctyped