Faux Marble Counter Top Using Plywood!

$48

Want a marble countertop on a tight budget?? Try this!

Hi Everyone :) I'll start off my saying our bathroom needed a major update. Photo above shows our bathroom before the makeover. A ton of green and very shabby. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

I knew for a fact that I wanted a new marble countertop in the bathroom however after doing some research I realized it was WAYY out of our budget.

So I had no choice but to DIY one! I'm going to try and go into as much detail as possible. If at any point this gets confusing you can check out the full in depth version of this DIY on my blog with the video version as well.

Here's the link - https://www.lilyardor.com/countertop

Prepping the plywood!

We started off by giving the plywood a few coats of paint. I just used regular interior latex paint. We ended up building this edge for the edge of the countertop to get a nice thick coat of resin as well.

I then used a feather to add veining onto my plywood.

Here's what it looked liked from the top once it was done. At least point I felt the veining was a little bit too much. I really wanted to achieve soft veining on this countertop.

So instead of re-doing it I ended up taking a grabbing a moist sponge with some white paint and and applied a blurred layer on top of my veining to give it a faded look. At this point I let it dry completely before moving on to pouring the resin. At least 24 hours.

Before pouring the resin I taped all the edges. I actually ended up using tinted resin. I used white tinted resin to help fade the veining even more. This actually gave the countertop a very realistic look. It smoothed out any imperfections.

I used my heat gun to pop any bubbles and after about 2 hours removed the tape and let it cure for a few days.

Here's how our bathroom turned out. I'm so in love!

Here's how the countertop look like from the top. I love how the veining looks so smooth and realistic.

That's it. I hope this inspires you to make your own countertop. MY countertop was about 3x4 foot section and this cost my around $50 to make.

FOR A MORE IN DEPTH TUTORIAL AND SUPPLIES I USED check out my blog post here -

https://www.lilyardor.com/diy-marble-resin-countertop/

The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Lily Oleynik

• Bobbie robertson

Is it easy to cut out for the sink? I wont be using a free standing sink.

• Debbie

Yes I see it says added an edge but was it made thd same way? and how was it added?

• Jeanne Martin

Debbie - did you go to her blog like she said for more detailed info & a video?

• Lyn

Love the mirror!!! Where did it come from??

• Lisa West

I'm going to use bad language. A first for me on here. THAT IS F@#$%#%&&# GORGEOUS FABULOUS FANTABULOUS. IT LOOKS LIKE A COUNTER OUT OF AN ITAILIAN SHOP FROM ITALY. DAMN FINE JOB YOU DID. LOVE YOUR BATHROOM. THANK YOU FOR SHARING. ISNT RESIN AN AWESOME PRODUCT? I MAKE HAIR JEWELS WITH RESIN ITS FUN FUN TOO.

• Mamamia

Lisa, I would love to see your resin hair jewels