How to Revive a Faux Fur Rug With Hair Conditioner

$5

A big home fashion trend just now is faux fur rugs. I personally have 3 in my home. They look lovely to begin with but unless they are just sitting out and never getting walked on, they can look quite grubby and lifeless the more you walk and sit on them. So I decided to use diluted hair conditioner in a spray bottle to to bring it back to life

This is the before and after to show you the difference. I’m really happy with how it turned out. My daughter sits in her reading corner all the time so this gets a lot of wear and tear

You’ll need just basic conditioner, a spray bottle and a brush. Any conditioner will do (cheaper the better I’d say as it’s only a rug after all. I’d also recommend one with a scent. I used a coconut one and it makes the rug smell lovely)

Dilute the conditioner in the bottle with water. Around 1/3 conditioner to 2/3 water

This is the spray bottle I have. It’s a hairdressing bottle but you can use anything that has a spray lid. Even an old empty bottle of kitchen/bathroom spray would work as long as you clean it out thoroughly first

Before you start spraying you will want to give the rug and good shake and a run over with the hoover to get rid of any crumbs/dust etc

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

You are then just going to spray lightly across the rug with the diluted solution

You are then going to gently brush across the rug to pull out any knots/tangles etc. (I’d imagine the way you would brush a dog with a shaggy coat)

After brushing the full rug I then gave it a blast with the hairdryer to dry it out and give it a smooth finish. I do think one with a nozzle is better but it wouldn’t have to have one

Don’t be alarmed when your brush looks like this. Some knots will come out like this but it doesn’t effect the look of the rug at all

This was the finished result. Much smoother, no knots or tangles and smelling like coconut!

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own

• Mary

Will it work on carpets as well?

• Aurelia Demafiles

Can I do this to shaggy white rug too? Thanks!!!

• Our Beautiful Bellway

I don’t see why not. I like to use bicarbonate and zoflora on my shaggy rug to freshen it up and a good hoover. I’ve never brushed mine before though

• Connie

Will this work after washing? Wish I knew about this before now as I threw away two fairly new rugs after washing cuz of knots!!!