Asked on Jun 15, 2020

Can these windows be repaired rather than replaced with new ones?

KmdreamerZard PocleebBrandy
+10

The wood is not soft. The previous owners just painted layer after layer. Thanks

• Margie Hood

!it's of scraping with a razor blade I suppose

• Annie

Hi Brandy, they don't look water damaged at all. Just scrape the old paint off before repainting.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Scrape and sand, then you should be okay to prime and paint. I'm in process of doing my porch rails. They aren't that bad but close.

• As long as the wood isn't rotten, you can scrape and repaint them. I've done it!

• Redcatcec

I would scrape, sand and repaint. Be careful if you suspect lead paint underneath.

• Robyn Garner

Poke all around with the point of screwdriver or something similar. IF the wood doesn't crumble/break apart then there is no wood rot. If so, you can scrape, prime and repaint. If anything crumbles or breaks apart you need to replace the wood.

• Brandy

Wow! Thanks! That was the answer I was hoping far.

• Tom Stuart

Brandy, take these photos to a professional paint store (Benjamin Moore, Sherman Williams, etc) not just a hardware store. You have a lot of paint to remove which could involve special scrapers, wire brushes, rough sand paper, and possibly paint remover. Also get safety glasses, rubber gloves and a dust mask.

If you don’t mind the lumpy repainted appearance just get a good grade of paint and cover it.

The damaged wood must be repaired. Any cracks or crevices will allow water to seep in and cause dry rot. This can be as easy as calling the crevices. The corner with the splintered wood should be repaired. Just a few inches of the wood could be sawed off and a short piece screwed in to fill it in. You might be able to fill the large gap with Bondo.

This is easier than it seems but get the free advice from a professional store.

• Sharon

Corners are kinda rotten looking, I think I would pry off the trim with one of those mini pry bars, and replace..... save tons of time in scrapping and sanding. Be sure to prime the new stuff and paint with exterior grade paint.

Hi Brandy: Some of he red wood looks in bad shape. You should be able to remove it and replace it with a similar type of wood. As for the white wood, use a product called Citristrip. Paint it on, let it set for whatever time they suggest and use a plastic putty knife to scrape off any paint that has wrinkled and softened. Then, once it's all smooth, you can repaint with a good exterior paint. Don't cheap out on the paint, it's one of the things that you have to get that's a good product. Good luck

• Brandy

Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate it!

• Zard Pocleeb

Use an organic stripper such as Citristrip because you have several layers of paint to deal with. Fill any holes or cracks with wood putty or a body filler such as Bondo (two-part epoxy) which is available at Walmart. You can rebuild the corners using these products as well, just build it up slowly.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=citristrip&crid=150OFVSXJKRAZ&sprefix=Citristr%2Caps%2C232&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8

• Kmdreamer

Yes you would scrap the old paint off or sand it off down to the bare wood then paint or varnish