Porch Refresh- Acid Stained Concrete

$50

Hello everyone!

When we built our home I was on our back porch staining the wood ceiling planks and clumsy me spilled a new can of wood stain on our BRAND new concrete!!! 🤦🏻‍♀️

So 3 years later I am finally fixing my mess up. We have tried using all sorts of concrete cleaning products, but have had no luck!

Inside of our home we did acid stained concrete downstairs, so we decided to do the same process on the porch. I honestly wasn’t sure how this would turn out on aged concrete, but I love it 😻!

It may seem a little overwhelming since there are several steps to this process, but it’s actually very easy!

You can click here to see a short video of each step!

WARNING⚠️ Acid staining process will vary depending on your concrete finish, age of the concrete, and build up! If you are planning on staining your concrete using this tutorial, I would recommend testing the stain on a small hidden area first. You will also get different variations depending on the brand of stain you use. I have used different stains and have found that majority of them have the same results. Please take the time to research acid stain and watch other tutorials prior to performing.⚠️

CLEAN AND COVER

➡️Cleaning your concrete is probably one of the most important steps. Even brand new concrete it is essential to thoroughly clean it prior to applying the stain. You can rent equipment at your local hardware stores such as Home Depot or Lowe's. For this project I am using our pressure washer with surface attachment . I first applied concrete cleaner. I then went over the patio twice with the surface attachment. This attachment is super easy to use. Then I applied concrete cleaner one last time and use the pressure washer with the nozzle attached. After that I allowed 24 hours for the concrete to dry.

STAIN

Apply the stain using a plastic sprayer. Mix the stain according to your products specifications. Several of the stains are a 1:1 mixture of stain and water. Read your products label carefully. Using a measuring cup mix according to your product specifications.

⚠️MAKE SURE YOUR SPRAYER IS NOT SET ON STREAM and is on wide spray. If your nozzle is set on stream you will have lines of stain! Which you DO NOT WANT! Believe it or not I have seen someone do this and the end results were not good! 🤦🏻‍♀️

➡️Evenly apply the stain using the wide spray setting. Look back over your first coat and add more stain to areas that don't appear well covered.

Allow 24 hours to dry.

I know, I know, it looks brown and blotchy. But, this is just the color that you can see while the chemical process is occurring.

AFTER IT DRIES.... You can wet a small area to see how it will look. The color when the floor is wet is close to the color your floor will be after you have sealed it.

Remember to allow 24 hours to dry between each step of the process (except applying more coats of stain and polish).

After you have achieved your desired look you will need to rinse with water until the draining water runs clear

Now it’s time to seal and polish.

I used a wide paint roller to apply the sealer and a mop for the polish.

You can find a little more detailed post by clicking HERE.

Also there is a link to a short IG video above.

Please tag me if you decide to try the process yourself so I can reshare.

-Danya

• Acid Stain, perma-cast sierra; color- Stygian
  • Plastic pump sprayer  (Home Depot)
  • Pressure washer or concrete cleaning machine  (Home Depot)

• Brenda Curry

Looks great! Wonder if it is slippery when wet!?

• Lisa Cantrell

Just be really careful. My mom did our porch floor over when I was young (1950s) and it was slick-ish in the rain. She and I both slipped at different times and we each broke our tailbones. I didn't mind-it was time off school. :-)

• Valerie

Can you use this process on concrete that has already been stained?

• Acid stain is best on new concrete or concrete without any paint or glue.

If your stain was sealed then the concrete may not absorb new stain.

They do make other stains that are for concrete that has had previous paint or stain.

• Gayle Strout Mashaw

How about a pool deck?

• Is It concrete?

Ours is and I was debating staining it also, but someone pointed out that it may be too hot being black.

I think it would look good. What do you think?