Scraps to Stool

$5

We needed a step stool for our toddler, but I couldn’t believe how expensive they can be! Before purchasing, I sorted through a pile of scrap wood in our garage and was able to create one I loved for next to nothing!

Cut Down Scraps

For this stool I cut down the scraps to (1) 14” x 7” for the top and (3) 10” x 5” for the legs and decorative brace.

Angle Cut

Using a chop saw, create angle on both leg pieces. I cut mine to 10 degrees for a more subtle style.

Pocket Screws

To make the stool nicer, I used to Kreg to create pocket screws instead of just drilling the legs on. This will allow you to hide your screw holes and make your piece look more professional.

Line up the leg where you want it to be and drill in your pocket screws. Before drilling I also applied some wood glue onto the top of the leg for extra hold.

Clamp and Dry

After both legs have been attached, clamp if necessary and allow the wood glue to dry.

Attach Decorative Brace

Using the same method, create pocket screws to attach the decorative brace to the stool, wood glue and drill in.

Putty and Sand

Before staining, use wood putty to fill in all the gaps and holes from the pocket screws. Then, sand it all down and give it a finishing touch! I used a 120 grit when sanding.

Stain!

Staining is my favorite because you can really make your piece your own! I choose Minwax Aged Barrel, which I already had in my garage. Another freebie!

Seal to Protect

Since this is being used by my kiddos in a bathroom, I wanted to use a sealant for extra protection. I used a foam brush to apply my favorite polyurethane.

Enjoy your Stool!

Not bad for a basically free project that I like better than something I would have paid for anyways!

15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows

• Pam Galicki

Is every cut on the 3 bottom pieces at 10 degrees? Even the decorative piece?

• Leslie

Very nice stool, I was wondering if an adult tested it out? The reason I ask is that I want to make a simple stool and this looks sturdy enough. Thank you for the information to make and the taking the time to answer.