Repurposed Plastic Egg Carton Wreath

$5

We get eggs at Costco that come in clear plastic egg cartons. I had a bunch of them stacked up (I can't throw plastic away!) So I did an experiment painting and shrinking the cups in the oven. I love using unexpected craft materials and who would think this wreath started out as an egg carton"

Fresh as spring with Easter egg colors.

Cut out the individual cups...I used four egg cartons to make this wreath.

I painted the insides of the cups with fresh spring colors and lined a cookie sheet with foil because I don't want to contaminate the teflon surface with melted plastic. I didn't wait for the paint to dry...before I put them in the oven.

Watch the pieces shrink and form flower shapes in the oven. I left them in about 2 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Watch your pieces because each oven is different!

Make a black center on each flower with black acrylic paint. After the centers are dry the wreath is ready to assemble.

Tie on green rafia for "leaves" and use hot glue to attach each flower to the wreath form. My wreath has approx. 60 "flowers". The project took me about 4 hours altogether.

15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Patty Thurlby

• Janet Erlinger

What recycling number is on those clear egg cartons? The plastic with a number 6 is safe to heat in the oven, but most others give off a toxic fume. Please be careful.

• Flipturn

Yeh, I thought of the same thing, and if putting these plastic pieces in the oven might even be a potential fire hazard.