Repurposed Plastic Egg Carton Wreath

$5

We get eggs at Costco that come in clear plastic egg cartons. I had a bunch of them stacked up (I can't throw plastic away!) So I did an experiment painting and shrinking the cups in the oven. I love using unexpected craft materials and who would think this wreath started out as an egg carton"

Fresh as spring with Easter egg colors.

Cut out the individual cups...I used four egg cartons to make this wreath.

I painted the insides of the cups with fresh spring colors and lined a cookie sheet with foil because I don't want to contaminate the teflon surface with melted plastic. I didn't wait for the paint to dry...before I put them in the oven.

Watch the pieces shrink and form flower shapes in the oven. I left them in about 2 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Watch your pieces because each oven is different!

Make a black center on each flower with black acrylic paint. After the centers are dry the wreath is ready to assemble.

Tie on green rafia for "leaves" and use hot glue to attach each flower to the wreath form. My wreath has approx. 60 "flowers". The project took me about 4 hours altogether.

Patty Thurlby

• Janet Erlinger

What recycling number is on those clear egg cartons? The plastic with a number 6 is safe to heat in the oven, but most others give off a toxic fume. Please be careful.

• Flipturn

Yeh, I thought of the same thing, and if putting these plastic pieces in the oven might even be a potential fire hazard.