Curio Cabinet Gets a Much Needed Makeover

$30

I love it when a friend picks up a piece of furniture from someone because she is confident that you can make it beautiful again. That's where this makeover begins.

This curio cabinet was very outdated. The mirrored back gave it a hexagon illusion. I knew that was the first thing to go. I gave the cabinet a thorough cleaning using Simple Green, a Scotch Brite sponge and bucket of water for rinsing.

Next, I removed the glass panels, pulls, back panel and mirror. Removing the back panel made it much easier to apply the primer (and paint).

I rolled on two coats of primer using a sponge roller and sponge brush. Next, I gave the cabinet a light sanding with 220 grit sandpaper to remove any drips or trash in the primer.

For this project, I chose Dixie Belle Paint in Cotton for the interior and Savannah Mist for the exterior.

I painted the interior with two coats of Cotton first. After the paint dried, I used paint tape to cover any edges close to where I was going to paint with the Savannah Mist. Some paint did seep under the tape so I lightly sanded those spots with 220 grit sandpaper and touched them up.

To highlight the beautiful carved portions, I brushed on some of the Cotton paint. This really made a difference.

I applied Dixie Belle Paint Clear Wax using a wax brush (to get into the crevices) and a lint free cloth. I buffed the wax using a microfiber cloth.

I decided to replace the mirror with wallpaper. I found the perfect paper at Lowes. It is part of the Property Brothers collection.

The paper was almost the same width as the backer board so the only measurement I really needed was the length. I measured the paper and drew a cutting line on the back.

The paper is self-adhesive so first I lined it up even with the end of the backer board. I peeled a corner and then gently peeled back about 2 inches. I laid it even with the top edge

To remove the back off of the paper, I reached under and gently pulled a little at a time. Then I ran my hand across the paper to make sure there were no bubble and it was smooth all the way down.

There was a little bit of overhang. To trim the excess paper, I turned the board over, laid it on my cutting mat, and trimmed it with an exacto knife.

To reattach the back, my hubby used his staple gun but it could be tacked on with small nails.

The cabinet magnetic closures were broken and brown. I found white replacements that were the same size.

After

What a difference paint can make!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/leapoffaith090117/

• Nadene kyle

what color of paint and what company is it. I love it and the paper. Please let me know.

• Leap of Faith

Hey Nadene! The paint is by Dixie Belle Paint and the colors are Savannah Mist and Cotton. The paper is the brand by the Property Brothers available at Lowe’s. ❤️

• Rynn

WOW ! Got to tell you that we "inherited" this exact piece when we bought our beach house 25 years ago... except ours was the original color: bronze. it was kinda butt-ugly, but i liked the shape so we stuck it in a corner. Finally last summer , i dry-brushed it a grayish ( came out similar to your color), and my husband could not believe that it was the same piece. Ours has the mirror on the back wall, but i really love your paper so might enhance her a little more. Also, love how you high-lighted the details in the woodwork. Thanks for the inspiration! You did a fantastic job; she is LOVELY! SIDE NOTE: Truly can't believe that there was more than ONE of these bronze beauties manufactured. ha ha!

• LOOKS good.

Love that wallpaper, need to check it out.

love to repurpose older pieces, they are made better.